• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

After Your First Cruise

Rate this topic

JSinapijr

Think back to your first cruise,  for some of your this may be hard if you have been on many of them! Think about your first cruise and the first time you thought "I should have brought that" of " Why did I bring this?" So I want to know after your first cruise what did you wish you brought and as a seasoned cruiser what have you learned you don't need to bring? 

✈️?️

-Joe

Cruise Ship Crayz Logo 2018.png

First cruise was on the "Carnivale" back in 1979.  I didn't really know what to bring for formal night.  I brought a nice outfit, but looked around me and saw many wearing gowns, not really fancy on Carnival, but like bridesmaid dresses.  I did feel a little out of place, and wished I had brought a gown.   Not too bad, though, since Carnival is not as formal as some were at that time.  What I did find out on later cruises is that I did bring way too many clothes, and shoes, purses, and jewelry.  On many cruises after that I did bring way too many clothes and formal gowns.

As a seasoned cruiser I I found out later that I didn't need to carry all that luggage.  One or two pairs of shoes, and one or two purses that would go with everything, and just bringing a couple pairs of pants that matched all of the shirts worked out well, and one or two pretty formal dresses or pants and tops.  Back in those days, I was single, also, and had to carry (no wheels back then) everything myself.  On my second cruise I was married {honeymoon cruise} so I had someone to carry for me...❤️  Didn't really cut down on the clothes and things I brought with, though, until the last couple of cruises.  That made it so much easier, also for my hubby who carried most of it.  We did have wheels after about the third cruise.?

Edited by Shari2

For our first cruise back on the Grand Princess in 2002, I researched every packing list ever written for cruising and brought everything and then some. So while there is nothing that I regret not packing, I can sure list plenty that I didn’t need or never used: Duct tape, shoe organizer and bungee cord are at the top of the list. Never brought them again, and never needed them. Other things simply became obsolete - alarm clock, night light, and stacks of books, stamps, post cards, address labels  - anything now available on a kindle or smartphone. In fact, I practice the # 1 tip in packing: Pack the bag and then remove half the contents. ? Needless to say, we’ve downsized our packing quite a bit over the years.?

@Jan115 I like the " Pack the bag and then remove half" I think I need to start going by this because 26 cruises later and I still pack WAY too much! Seems like smartphones and kindles have certainly reduced the amount need to bring on a cruise! 

@Shari2 Wow sailing on the Carnivale must have been fantastic, one of the ships that started it all! Seems like sticking to two pieces of luggage is the way to go and if you consider bringing something make it a Yes or No and any maybes put into the no pile! As for formal nights, growing up my mom, sisters, and grandmother would always bring one "gown" then have a something more casual like a sundress for the second formal night. I used to bring two suits, and now I decided on bringing one suit and two shirts and ties but typically go casual the second night without a tie (or take the tie off after pictures). Seems like the more you sail the better you learn! 

Yes...the "Carnivale" was an interesting ship.  I have been on a few others that had a history , like the "SS Constitution."  We sailed her around Hawaii.  We were on it's last cruise.  It was a ship that took Princess Grace and her bridesmaids to France for the wedding.  She sailed with family, bridesmaids, her poodle, and over 80 pieces of luggage.  It was said that 400 reporters signed up to sail with, but most were turned away.  Also two movies were filmed on her, "An Affair to Remember", with Cary Grant, and Deborah Kerr, a famous romance story, and the other was for Lucille Ball of the "I Love Lucy" show.  That episode was called "Bon Voyage."

We definitely do learn more as we cruise more, Joe.  My DH did the same as you with the suits...he used to bring two, and then he only brought one with extra shirts and ties.  Great idea!

Edited by Shari2

On 8/14/2018 at 1:02 PM, Jan115 said:

For our first cruise back on the Grand Princess in 2002, I researched every packing list ever written for cruising and brought everything and then some. So while there is nothing that I regret not packing, I can sure list plenty that I didn’t need or never used: Duct tape, shoe organizer and bungee cord are at the top of the list. Never brought them again, and never needed them. Other things simply became obsolete - alarm clock, night light, and stacks of books, stamps, post cards, address labels  - anything now available on a kindle or smartphone. In fact, I practice the # 1 tip in packing: Pack the bag and then remove half the contents. ? Needless to say, we’ve downsized our packing quite a bit over the years.?

A stack of books will never be obsolete for some of us (even if we do have a Kindle, too!)  ?

@Shari2 WOW  I did not know that about the S.S. Consitution! That must have been pretty fantastic to sail onboard.  I  would love to sail onboard a ship that has a history like that, as much as I love the new ships and the innovation they hold I love me some history!