• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Jury Awards $1.2 Million to Cruise Passenger who Tripped Over Cleaning Bucket

Rate this topic

Jason

In December 2014, Joyce Higgs, then 67-years-old, tripped and fell on a cleaning bucket aboard a cruise ship in the eastern Caribbean at Grand Turk. Ms. Higgs claimed injuries to her left arm and shoulder, which included a displaced proximal humerus fracture of her left non-dominant arm, a dislocated humerus head, torn left rotator cuff, and torn left bicep tendon. She sued Costa Crociere S.P.A. Company, the owner of the cruise ship, for negligence. Ms. Higgs alleged she tripped and fell while walking from the cruise ship's breakfast buffet toward her daughter's table. She further alleged the cruise ship failed to properly maintain the vessel in a reasonably safe condition.

Ms. Higgs' safety expert opined that he inspected the cruise ship's dining area, and that using cleaning buckets full of water instead of spray bottles violated cruise ship industry standards. He further opined that storage cabinets were available and should have been used to store the buckets and keep them out of where passengers walk. Lastly, he opined that yellow warning signs should have been used to warn of any buckets left in areas where passengers walk.

Ms. Higgs' injuries required open reduction internal fixation surgery, which included plate placement and 12 screws implanted to repair the humerus fracture. She additionally underwent arthroscopic surgery to repair her rotator cuff, and had sutures to repair torn the bicep tendon. Post operatively, Ms. Higgs required six months of physical therapy. Ms. Higgs claimed ongoing pain and difficulty performing daily tasks, such as household chores. The jury determined that Higgs' damages totaled $1.3 million.

When someone is injured or dies in an accident, financial recovery may be available. Such recovery is particularly important when permanent, life changing injuries are incurred. It is important to contact someone who understands the intricacies of the injured party's right to recover.

Abraham Watkins offers a free consultation to anyone wishing to pursue a claim for such injuries or fatalities.

By Imrana Manzanares of Abraham, Watkins, Nichols, Sorrels, Agosto & Aziz
Originally posted: https://www.abrahamwatkins.com/blog/2018/10/plaintiff-awarded-13m-for-injuries-in-cruise-ship-fall.shtml
Re-posted on CruiseCrazies.com - Cruise News, Articles, Forums, Packing List, Ship Tracker, and more
For more cruise news and articles go to https://www.cruisecrazies.com

View full article

I can empathize with the woman. I haven’t tripped over a bucket yet, but have tripped over those big orange cones, both on a Royal Caribbean ship in the buffet area and on sidewalks. Very easy to do when you’re not looking. Most likely a spill happened at the breakfast hour and the crew rolled out the bucket to clean it up, when a wet mop and towels would have safely done the trick.

Edited by Jan115

I can empathize as well!  I fell, coincidentally on a Royal Caribbean ship - we were coming into the dance lounge up on the top deck and it was very dark with strobe lighting on the dance floor, which drew my attention,  and I missed a step down.  The room was dark, the floor was black, the steps were black and I didn't pay close enough attention.  I went straight down and immediately about 10 people came rushing to help...each pulling a limb in a different direction, trying to help me up!  ?  I was more embarrassed than anything, but my knees swelled up like balloons, and we had to scale back some of our plans for the remaining ports.  Better lighting to differentiate the two steps down would have helped, and one gentleman said he did the same thing earlier.  Attention to safety should be an ongoing review for passengers' sake and for the cruise lines.

I can empathize as well.  I also fell on a Royal Caribbean ship. I was out on deck and unbeknown to me the tender boat hanging above my head was dripping a mix of oil and water onto the deck floor below. My feet went out from under me as I slipped on the oily deck. They put me in a wheelchair and took me down to th Dr. They treated me for the rest of the cruise ..... my knee was super swollen and my leg was blue and purple from the knee to the ankle. It was very painful to walk so we couldn't take part in planned excursions.  About 3 minutes after me slipping a crew member ran out with a yellow warning sign ...... The safety officer came out and took tons of photo's and took a statement from my husband and I. I also had numerous fellow passengers come to my rescue ...... The pity was it was on day one of a 14 day transatlantic, so I spent way too many days wasted, resting on the bed.