• Create an account or sign in to get involved

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Miranda

DAILY DOCK FOR MARCH 2019

Rate this topic

FRIDAY, MARCH 1ST

Happy weekend fellow Crazies,

I've come to say bye bye for a couple of weeks, cause tonight I'm of to Singapore and sail Celebrity Millennium. Of course I'll be thinking of you and hope you're doing all right. 

Andi I hope you're Edge cruise was awesome and Jan I hope you'll feel better soon. Wish I'd run into you Ray, but better luck next time. Jackie hope the pressure is getting less for you.

Talk to you later Crazies,

Miranda

Miranda - Bon Voyage! have an amazing cruise and enjoy the far East ..... can't wait to hear all about it and see lots of pics!!!

Well other than my frantically busy time at work - just 6 weeks to go, yay! - I have been dealing with awful sciatica and something going on in my right ear.  It feels like it's blocked and I have awful ringing in it.  Urghhhh ..... all this just when I don't have a minute to go see a Dr. 

We booked our flights to South Africa and can't believe how much the fares have gone up in the last 2 years.  $4530 for the 2 of us for 7 flights!!  Oh well I guess I have to just suck it up .... it is what it is.

Have a wonderful weekend everybody.

Good Sunday Evening, Crazies!  It is nice to be back on the Dock - actually on the whole site - and catching up with everyone.  I tried to get pics posted but was not always able to stop at the Dock or look at all the great news that Jason posts.  And then I came back to the reality of the yearly Mutual Ground retreat which needed to be organized, planned and presented.  We held the retreat yesterday (3/2) and so now I had a chance to write my full review - WARNING - it is long.....  but please do check it out in the Celebrity reviews section.

WE HAD A WONDERFUL TIME!   And we would be all in on 2020 group cruise on the Edge...but, like Jan says, if we have the money left after the cruises that we have planned.    We met with DD, SIL, and Little Guy last night to plan our 2020 Alaska cruise and we are easing back on it a bit, so might be able to save some dollars from that.  We are doing roundtrip Seattle on the Eurodam, departing June 13, 2020!  And then we are planning a land vacation (whaaat?!) in September 2020 back to WDW.  So........if we can find a group cruise that avoids those, and that doesn't clean out my IRA, we'll be all in; and never too early to start planning, right?!

Jackie - Won't be long now that you will be off on your next adventure....and done with that pesky old work for the year, right?!  I am again so sorry about your sciatica - that is one big literal pain!  Have you gone to the doctor about your ear?  You would want to clear up anything brewing there before you fly for sure.

Ray - Are you still thinking Greek for 2021 or.....?  We are in for that, or for whenever it fits best in your bucket.  Glad you are feeling better, but hope Yuki can get there as well.

Jan - And so sorry that you are sick with the creeping crud, too.  Hope the antibiotics and steroids will work quickly for you.  So what say you....ideas for 2020 on the Edge?!  🤩

Miranda - You are on your way as well but can't wait to hear about the refurbishment on the Millenium - Celebrity is supposed to be doing wonderful things on their older ships.

It took me forever to write the cruise review and to catch up on all the news, so I guess I better go do something productive.....like get ready for our next cruise:  12 days and counting...............YAY.....since it is still horrendous weather here....   -8 degrees and headed lower tonight......I can not stand it any more! 😱

Andi - Welcome back.  Thank you for the comprehensive review of the Edge - all I want to do now is get onboard and experience for myself ..... everything sounds so wonderful.  What a beautiful ship.  Gosh I wouldn't have wanted to get off that cruise for sure.  Wow!  sorry it's back to reality, but only for a week or so and you'll be back on the high seas ........

Welcome back, Andi! I read you review and WOW - I am very excited! So much so, that I just went in to look at availability for some late May, early June dates, and the Edge will be doing 10 and 11 day Mediterranean sailings with the majority of the ports being Greece, roundtrip from Rome May through summer 2020, and our agency has special rates significantly better than the regular rates and they also include the Sail Beyond Event perks. I'm tempted. Andi, your window of availability is shrinking fast, so we might have to come up with an alternative that doesn't break the bank. The Edge is alternating 7-day Eastern & Western Caribbean from Ft. Lauderdale in winter - early 2020 and pick up again in November 2020, if that works better for you. Eastern includes Tortola and San Juan, neither one of which I've been to, and we have special rates for this cruise, as well. So when can you squeeze a cruise in? Maybe February? April? November? 

We had over a foot of snow last night and schools and courts are closed; therefore, I'm home. Did someone say "SPRING"?  Mother Nature, I think, is playing a cruel joke on us. I'm making some progress with the cough, and hopefully in a week or so it will be a distant memory. 

Jackie - I hope you can join us in 2020. I know tax season is out for you, but hopefully we can find something that will work for all the Crazies. Maybe the Edge in November?

Have a great day everyone.

1 hour ago, Jan115 said:

Welcome back, Andi! I read you review and WOW - I am very excited! So much so, that I just went in to look at availability for some late May, early June dates, and the Edge will be doing 10 and 11 day Mediterranean sailings with the majority of the ports being Greece, roundtrip from Rome May through summer 2020, and our agency has special rates significantly better than the regular rates and they also include the Sail Beyond Event perks. I'm tempted. Andi, your window of availability is shrinking fast, so we might have to come up with an alternative that doesn't break the bank. The Edge is alternating 7-day Eastern & Western Caribbean from Ft. Lauderdale in winter - early 2020 and pick up again in November 2020, if that works better for you. Eastern includes Tortola and San Juan, neither one of which I've been to, and we have special rates for this cruise, as well. So when can you squeeze a cruise in? Maybe February? April? November? 

We had over a foot of snow last night and schools and courts are closed; therefore, I'm home. Did someone say "SPRING"?  Mother Nature, I think, is playing a cruel joke on us. I'm making some progress with the cough, and hopefully in a week or so it will be a distant memory. 

Jackie - I hope you can join us in 2020. I know tax season is out for you, but hopefully we can find something that will work for all the Crazies. Maybe the Edge in November?

Have a great day everyone.

Jan - Glad you liked my review!  Considering my other commitments in 2020 a late spring/summer cruise would be difficult.  November would be perfect if Jackie is interested, but if not, February would work well.  I have not been to Tortola...am going back to San Juan in two weeks but that is a place I love so would do that again...  Those European Edge cruises are very tempting but not sure if the timing works for me in 2020...which of course, does not preclude a group cruise without me...😪  I will take a look, though....just in case!

Happy Monday, Crazies!   So we were up most of the night, alternating trips downstairs to "trip" the furnace into igniting.  We did that a total of 6 times throughout the night so that we would have some heat - seeing as we had a wind chill of -26.  So Ed called our heating guy bright and early and they were out by 10:00 to rig it so that it will stay running until a new flame sensor can be ordered and installed.  We had them out for the routine care back in November but they said that this brutal winter was very hard on furnaces, especially old ones like ours (19 years.)  So I'm hoping the sensor will get us through and we look at getting a new one before next season.

Jan - So when is David able to cruise?  I was looking at the Edge itineraries for 2020 and there are some neat ones:  did you see the 9-day Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao, Grand Cayman one that goes 11/13/20?  Or either of those transatlantics are a fabulous price:  14 nights Spain, Italy and Tenerife going out on 4/19/20 or coming back on 10/30/20.  But that 7-day Eastern is nice as well to Puerto Rico, Tortola and St. Maarten on 12/6, or even in February 2020.   I might be able to swing a July or August European one if your group prices are as good as you say....   I'm anxious to know what Miranda would consider....and also again, when is David able to cruise?

Jackie - You love transatlantics - take a look at the Edge....their 2020 crossings are a great price (for a brand new, more up-scale ship I thought! 

Well we have an appointment on Wednesday to go test drive a new car; I started the process online this time through AAA and Truecar and I hope that it ends as nicely as it as begun....we shall soon find out!

Hope everyone is doing okay with this horrid weather; we have one more night in the deep freeze and then our temps are supposed to moderate all the way up to 20 degrees! 

Good morning, 

I started working out again this week with our personal trainer, and after a bout of bronchitis, it's like starting over. Thankfully, we were 5 minutes late this morning and only had to endure 25 minutes rather than the full 30. Otherwise, I'd be dead on the floor. 😳 Weather is improving, hopefully enough to start melting the foot of snow on the ground. We're expecting a day of rain on Sunday, so that should wash away much of it. 

Andi - I hope you got your heat fixed. Definitely something we can't do without this time of year, not just because we don't want to freeze to death, but we don't want frozen pipes, either. I'm working on David to give me some dates he's available to cruise. With his part-time gig at URI and all the various projects he's working on, I'm not expecting much beyond summer or spring breaks. But we'll see.  When Miranda returns and I get dates from David, we'll take a look. I am not opposed to crying without him if it's something he can't fit in.

Speaking of spring break, my niece and her fiancé are joining us on the Breakaway for the April break cruise to the W. Caribbean. She was asking me my opinion about Breakaway v. Allure of the Seas, and in our conversation, I learned that she was looking at the same week. We're very excited and happy to spend a week with them. They live in Miami, and since we will be on the Cape with the family in July and can't make the trip to FL for the wedding, we'll toast them early!

Have a great day!

Happy Sunday, CruiseCrazies!  Hope Miranda is having a great cruise!  We are looking forward to the Adventure of the Seas on Saturday with our younger daughter and her guy.  Stops include San Juan, PR and St. Maarten and we are anxious to see how they are recovering from the hurricanes.  We will do our part and spend some money, I'm sure, lol!

Jan - we did get our heat fixed - they came on Wednesday with the flame sensor and all is well, at least for the time being.  I have heard of more and more furnaces conking out because the winter was so hard.  You and Dave are truly dedicated to your gym routine - I commend you both!  And can't wait to hear possible dates on an Edge cruise from Dave and Miranda - it would be nice for Dave to experience this ship; I think he would really love it.  How nice that your niece can join you in April - you will have a great time.

Jackie - Hope you are hanging in there....not too many more weeks...

Enjoy what's left of the weekend, everyone!