• Create an account or sign in to get involved

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Miranda

DAILY DOCK FOR MARCH 2019

Rate this topic

7 hours ago, Jan115 said:

You’re right - would we go to Europe just for a week? Probably not. Anyway, David is thinking Mediterranean - maybe not on the Edge, but I’ll do some shopping around for some options.

Would be great if you guys could join us on the Transatlantic in April 2020 😄 😄 

Happy SAINT PATTY'S DAY! I made my annual Irish boiled dinner yesterday despite the fact that no one in my family even likes corned beef and cabbage. So I will have lunch and dinner for the next week. 😀 

This is All-State Music Festival weekend in Rhode Island, where the best of the best middle and high school band and choir students perform. David was asked to be a guest conductor for the high school band, and he's dedicating a piece to his dad, who passed away several years ago on Saint Patrick's Day. His sister and I will be attending, and looking forward to hearing some outstanding young musicians.

Time to get ready for the day - have a great one! 

Hope everyone enjoyed their St. Patrick’s Day. My Irish boiled dinner came out great. My sister in law came by for a late lunch, so I didn’t have to enjoy it alone. 🙂

I realize I will most likely be talking to myself here, as our regulars are cruising or busy with life and work, so I’ll just wish everyone a good week!

Hello, Crazies,

We just plain missed St. Paddy's Day, so we made an extra trip to the store to stock up on tubers, cabbage and corned beef.  Maybe tonight we'll turn green!  We're about ready for the China/Tibet cruise - boy, is it ever expensive!  Not just the cruise fare, but tons of inoculations, VERY high visa fee (and we had to renew passports early because China wants the passports to be good for six months AFTER the trip!  Two complete sets of photos.  And on and on...

If the planning turns toward an Adriatic cruise next year, we might be up for that, as long as it isn't on one of the 3,000-passener ships.  The one we had mapped out was (as usual) Viking, beginning in Venice and ending in Athens, with stops up and down the sea...  We were actually thinking of 2021, but we can move it forward a year...  just a thought.

Business is booming, which accounts for most of my running hither and thither (church activities account for the yon.)

Jan, I'm glad that you got the dinner boiled and had family to share it with!

And now, back to work...

Hi Ray - Thanks for popping by. Yes, that's pretty standard for many destinations now - passports must be valid for 6 months after the trip return date. Hopefully the rewarding experience will outweigh the high costs for you. Okay, so I know corned beef and cabbage, but what's a "tuber"? I put some ideas out for 2020 in the Groups section here, non of which include a small ship, though feel free to add something. While I prefer smaller ships, some of the larger ones do impress me - Regal Princess, Celebrity Reflection, etc. After Andi came back raving about the Edge, I also want to give that one a whirl. With two ocean cruises, a beach vacation and a Viking River cruise later this year, it's going to take me some time to build up my resources to work in a Viking Ocean cruise in the future. What do you have in mind for Adriatic for 2019? Unfortunately, David's retirement gig keeps him pretty much to the school year schedule, which makes shoulder-season transatlantics impossible for us. Doesn't mean I can't cruise solo, though.😁

We're all wondering, Ray - have you heard any news about Shari?

Off to start my day - have a good one!

Hi Jan,  a tuber is a root vegetable, like potato, onion, carrot and so forth.  Northern countries generally have a cuisine that features these veggies because the growing season isn't very long in those places.  Ireland qualifies!!

No word about Shari, and I hesitate to press the issue ( I have a deathly fear of being considered "too nosy," which is something that Yuiki wants me to change...

SATURDAY, MARCH 23RD

Good morning my fellow Crazies,

Yes she's back again 🤪. Beware! I had a great time in Asia. It was absolutely hot in Singapore and Thailand and Saigon. Danang, Hanoi and Hong Kong were cooler. But it was great to have experienced it. Saw a lot of beautiful things, met a lot of nice people again and had a great time. However I have to admit, Princess ships do more for me somehow. I did miss an atrium and more public spaces. As the Millennium added more cabins, it lost public space because of it. The Edge will probably give a different feel. So still hoping to try that one in the near future. 

I told a lot of people about this site and our group cruise. Some people called me 'Crazie' already and are going to check this site out. Who knows?

Andi, so good to see you had a great time on the Edge. I have to read your review and I will. And you're gone again. Wow. Enjoy!

Jan, glad to see you're doing fine again. Keep up the good work. So looking forward to our next cruise again. 

Jackie, hope you're doing fine and hope to meet you too one day.

Ray, what is 'too nosy' about being concerned about and interested in a friend? I think that is very considerate. Hope you guys are doing fine and hope to see you next year.

Well gotta go again, wishing all of you a happy weekend

Miranda

Miranda, so glad to see you are back and had a wonderful cruise.  I do have one question - were most of the passengers from Asia?  Just trying to get a feel for whether the cruise is more geared towards that culture or not. Thanks.  I am with you with regards to the Princess ships .... I also love them and their feeling of more "space".  Hope to meet you one day too!!!!

Well I woke up one morning about 2 weeks ago and my right ear felt completely "stopped up" and deaf.  Went to the Dr who said it sounded like congestion.  Well I've been on the meds for 2 weeks and no change!  I am still deaf in that ear.  I need to see and ENT but still have 3 weeks of tax season working 6 days a week before I can take time off to see the Dr again.

Have a wonderful weekend everyone!!

22 hours ago, zebra said:

Miranda, so glad to see you are back and had a wonderful cruise.  I do have one question - were most of the passengers from Asia?  Just trying to get a feel for whether the cruise is more geared towards that culture or not. Thanks.  I am with you with regards to the Princess ships .... I also love them and their feeling of more "space".  Hope to meet you one day too!!!!

Well I woke up one morning about 2 weeks ago and my right ear felt completely "stopped up" and deaf.  Went to the Dr who said it sounded like congestion.  Well I've been on the meds for 2 weeks and no change!  I am still deaf in that ear.  I need to see and ENT but still have 3 weeks of tax season working 6 days a week before I can take time off to see the Dr again.

Have a wonderful weekend everyone!!

Jackie - do you think it might be ear wax? My primary doc never seems to diagnose it correctly, also calling it congestion. Every few years this happens to me, and if I have no other cold symptoms, I'm almost sure it's wax. After trying wax-melter drops with no success, a visit to the ENT is necessary to get it "blasted" out. 

Jackie, our experience with cruising in Asia is that it is mostly Americans and a handful of Europeans that book these cruises.  Asian tourists apparently have other options...

Jan, I also get tortured by ear wax buildup and have to use my little removal kit (drops and a small "blaster") to get rid of it.  If I forget to do this for a few weeks, it's a trip to the doctor's office for the high-powered blast.  I've had tinnitus for a long time, and the ear wax makes it worse, of course.

Miranda, I have a fear of calling someone and inquiring about the health of that person's spouse, then receiving the reply "She passed away last night" and having that person break down crying on the phone.  I know I wouldn't want anyone to call me at a time that I was grieving...