• Create an account or sign in to get involved

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Jan115

DAILY DOCK FOR MAY 2019

Rate this topic

WELCOME TO THE MERRY MONTH OF MAY!

With April showers come May flowers! Just wish we had some sun to go with those flowers. It’s been chilly and rainy for the last week, and other than the bright green grass, it’s pretty gray.

After paying the Air Plus fee for our upcoming Viking cruise and spending weeks looking for just the right flight itinerary, I finally have it booked. I prefer booking my own air rather than haggling with the cruise line over pricing and schedules. But since flights with the air deal were cheap, I worked with their air department to make it work. Either they couldn’t pair up certain legs or the price was higher than what we paid. I finally got someone over there who knew what they were doing and got decent flights with good layover time, and a non stop for the flight home. At the end I was all set to pay the $12 per person for the overage, but she said, “Oh, I waived that!” What an angel! 

Andi - Please tell! What’s this awesome expensive trip you’re doing? You’ve got my attention! Given your busy world traveling schedule next year, as well as Ray’s, it might be better to skip 2020 and focus on the Adriatic in 2021. 

Ray - What did you think of that plush new document pouch from Viking! Pretty neat, huh? Just another one of those perks that elevates Viking Ocean and River above the rest. 😁 What is this Insider info about the Adriatic cruise you’re hiding? Please tell!

Enjoy the first day of Spring!🌿🌱🍃🌷🌷🌷

Happy May, Crazies!  Here's hoping that the month of May brings nicer weather....but so far not so much; we have had a ton of rain and fields/rivers/etc. are flooding.  Plus the temps are still well below average.  We are supposed to have rain the rest of this week, a slight reprieve over the weekend and then rain again for all of next week.  🚣‍♂️   Need to get a bigger boat!

OK - so.......this fantastically expensive trip we won is fantastically expensive because the bidding went up so high - not because the trip itself is that fantastic...  but it is called a World Traveler package because you get your choice of 5 destinations:  Paris, Greece, Bali, Whistler, or Tuscany.  It covers lodging for a varying number of nights (depending on location) and some other perks such as breakfast, spa credits, etc....  But it does not include airfare or meals...  So what it basically amounts to is that we got a nice trip but made a REALLY REALLY nice donation to Mutual Ground - which is ok; I am President of their Board so wholeheartedly support the mission.  But...it also means that we will have to spend more $ to actually make the trip happen - for airfare, etc.  So we decided to go with a nice option that will not cost an additional arm and leg:  we will go up to Whistler, Canada for 4 nights at the Chateau Whistler with a generous credit for golf or skiing or spa.  Since we don't ski, we will go up in summer where we can golf and hike and just hang out.  We probably will tack on a couple of nights in Vancouver proper - we do love Vancouver.  But it has to be booked within the year and completed with 18 months - hence the need to wedge it in between Alaska and Disney next year. 

Jan - We are definitely all in for 2021 in the Adriatic - that is "set aside".  The itinerary that Ray and I have been discussing is on Viking - called the Empires of the Mediterranean:  It is 10 days, departing May 28th 2021, from Athens overnight to.....Santorini, Katakalon, Corfu, Montenegro, Dubrovnik, Zadar, Slovenia and then ending in Venice.  Ray has it all figured out as to which ports he will use as his "rest days" and which he will "do his own thing", ha!    Itineraries are open for booking which means the lower categories will fill quickly so we would probably want to book within the month.  When we were looking at 2020, the reasonable cabins were already snapped up, which is why we pushed it to 2021.  Would be great to get a group going!

Well - tomorrow I have to prepare for the AAUW State Convention, which begins on Friday in Springfield.  I will get back home late Saturday night and then Sunday is Wine on the Fox...which they have already moved to higher ground - away from the Fox River - and away from the flooding. 

Hope everyone has a great week!

Thursday, May 2, 2019

Good Morning, Crazies!

All the upcoming events are closing in on us like that ship in Jurassic Park II coming into San Diego Harbor!  The All-Shore judged event and the year-end recital are less than three weeks away, and the China/Tibet cruise comes just a bit more than a week after that!  We bought a VR unit to work with our streaming stuff (all YouTube and Curiosity Stream documentaries) and we're fighting the thing now, to get it to talk properly to the airplay system (presently, it uses only truly bad, foul language - not proper at all.)

Jan, the "insider" information that I have is not any more than Andi's - I've been to the Croatian coast, Athens, Santorini and Venice, and she's been to Athens, Venice, Santorini and Montenegro.  Put together, that gives us a leg up on what to plan.  I do know that Corfu has traditionally been the go-to playground for the rich, but it's reputed to have not much more than beautiful beaches, so I decided to make that a "sea-day port."  Both Andi and I have been to Santorini and scoured the island, so we'll probably just take the included tour to town, just to get the funicular ticket and then while away some time at an open-air cafe overlooking the sea...  Pretty much the same deal in Athens - stay away from the Acropolis (just in order to avoid eroding the stones, you know...)  You got any spring on the horizon up there in Little Rhody?

Andi, did I cover the Adriatic well enough?  We haven't discussed the right kind of drinks for the various ports yet...

Miranda, when are you going to plan a small-ship cruise around the Chesapeake Bay?  There are actually a number of interesting places to see along the way...

Shari, I hope the rehab is going well, and producing results - it will take time, but since I work in the health care area (true, just the entertainment end of it) I have seen plenty of examples of people getting back to where they left off before the health issues that sent them to rehab.  Hang in there...

Jackie, I hope that the medicos are able to come up with a viable plan for you (no hope for me - I'm already on hearing aids!!)

I hear stirrings from downstairs, so I'd better get down there...

Have A Great Day, Crazies!

Andi and Ray - I am very intrigued and excited about the Viking Adriatic cruise, and I think I can convince David to come along. 5/28/21 should work if his schedule is anything like 2020. I’ll put together a quote, post it up here on CC, and see if we can get any others interested.

Super!  Andi and I are thinking to do a "post-cruise" in Venice - we'd like to book our own hotels (much cheaper than the Viking post-cruise package) but we'd also like to take advantage of the Viking airfares.  Think you can work some magic on those flights again?

Post cruise in Venice would be awesome, and I know I can save us money over Viking’s package. Air deals with the Ocean side of Viking haven’t been as good as the River side, but let’s see what they are offering. 

I may go out and buy a cheerleader's outfit just so I can cheer for you!  (May have trouble learning how to handle the pom-poms though...

Happy Saturday Crazies,

Well our temps dropped as well and we even had some of that white stuff this morning. It's gone already, but still. It's pretty chilly but forecasts are getting better again. Been to the gym this morning and going to have dinner with my best friend tonight and getting back to the gym tomorrow morning. So all is just fine.

Jackie, I so hope the meds will kick in and help you avoid the hearing aid. Keeping my fingers crossed for you! Oh and I was born in Rotterdam and lived in the Netherlands all my life. Been moving around quite a bit, in fact so many times, that I don't want to do that anymore and stick to the place I live right now. I've had so many things done in and around this house and I feel so good in it that I don't want to leave anymore. And I live in 's-Hertogenbosch (Rosmalen) the capital of the province of North-Brabant, the southern part of the country, near the Belgian border. 

Well Jan, Andi and Ray, I think a group cruise for 2020 is not in the cards right? So I asked my TA to check out the Celebrity Apex (Edge's sister ship) for May 10th next year. I tried to find  a nice trip on the Edge, Sky and Enchanted Princess, but none of 'em appealed very much. This also means I really need a cruise after our group cruise and before Apex. Or else I will face withdrawal symptoms for sure. 

Ray, I don't know when I am willing to try a smaller ship. First off they're usually more expensive, have no anytime dining and less venues and amenities. But hey, miracles still happen and you never know how I will feel in two years. 

Shari, hopefully you're recovery goes as planned. Your absolutely in my thoughts and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. 

Well Crazies, I hope you're all enjoying your weekend!

Miranda

On 5/2/2019 at 4:44 PM, RayColey said:

I may go out and buy a cheerleader's outfit just so I can cheer for you!  (May have trouble learning how to handle the pom-poms though...

You can always try baton twirling🙂

Happy Saturday, everyone1

It’s another chilly, drizzly, gray day here, and I wonder if we’ll ever see sun. It’s supposed to be this way for another week. We’re at Symphony Hall in Boston today listening to performances by the best of the best Mass. middle school and high school music groups. Kristin’s orchestra will be performing last so we have a few hours to kill here.

Miranda, your weather looks much like ours. Yeah, I think it’s safe to say that we’ll skip 2020 as a group. You’re always welcome to join David and me on the Iceland-Ireland Cruise next summer on Celebrity Reflection, and as we get closer to the Viking Sea sailing in 2021, who knows - they may have some reduced rates. So never say never!🙂

Jackie - any interest in joining us in 2021 the  on Viking Sea Adriatic cruise?

Tummy’s growling - time to find lunch.