• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

St. Thomas Rebuilding After Hurricanes

Rate this topic

We recently had an opportunity to tour St. Thomas and meet with representatives of the U.S. Virgin Islands Tourism Dept. They showed us how the popular Caribbean destination is getting back to normal after two devastating, back-to-back hurricanes in 2017. If you are going to St. Thomas, here are some articles we posted that might be of interest:

St. Thomas Food Tour

A Visit to Coral World Ocean Park

Taking a Scenic Tour of St. Thomas

Virgin islands are "Back in Business"

Photo: Coral World, by Gerry Barker

coral.jpeg

Wow, Gerry - you’ve got a beautiful Blog! Thanks for sharing your info on St. Thomas. I’m glad to see the areas hit hardest by Irma starting to come back including St. Maarten and San Juan. I’ve only been to St. Thomas once, about 10 years ago, and it’s definitely time for a revisit.

Having just been to Puerto Rico and St.Maarten in March I thought that the areas around the port looked pretty good, although on Front Street in St. Maarten there is still a lot of rebuilding to be done.  And when we were touring the Yoda Guy's Museum, the power went out and he said that that happens all too frequently still.  He had to go out and start his generator to get the lights back on, but his ability to accept credit cards stayed down.

We ventured only as far as Casa Bacardi in Puerto Rico and The Old San Juan section was looking pretty good, but I imagine farther out there is still damage.

Hi Andi -- This was our first visit to San Juan and agree, Old San Juan seems fine for the most part. We would have liked to have more time to explore. The wait was too long at Barrachina, the birthplace of the Pina Colada. Maybe next time!

We were in port late so was able to have a nice dinner at Raices - I went for the mojitos, lol!  Agreed that more time there would be great; San Juan would be a great overnight port!