• Create an account or sign in to get involved

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
RayColey

Daily Dock for June, 2019

Rate this topic

June 1st, 2019

Good morning, Crazies!  

I hope that June finds everyone not drowning or in a horrible windstorm!  We are now at the turnaround point of our trip.  We arrived safe ‘n’ sound at Lhasa, Tibet.  So far, no ill effects from the altitude (about 11,500 feet.)  China has been fascinating - The Forbidden City, The Ming Tombs, The Great Wall, the ancient “Old Town,” and the Terra Cotta Soldier Museum.  Tomorrow we will visit the holiest of sites in Tibet, The Jokang Monastery, and after that, the Potala Palace, winter home of the Dalai Lama (but he has not been here for decades - his residence in unoccupied, although the business of Tibetan Buddhism is still carried out here by officials.  We will turn around from this location to go to the Three Rivers Gorge and embark of the Empress (or, as Jan calls it, The Anthem of The River.)  The ship carries four decks and will make a number of stops along the Yangtze River on its way down to Shanghai.

Again, I hope all is going well.  We’ve made a number of friends here, and we’ve passed along cards for Cruise Crazies/. Hopefully some or all of these really nice people will check out our community, like us, stay with us, and cruise with us!

I’ll try to get back on the Dock as we move along, but the schedule is really packed!!

Have A Great Day, Crazies!

Ray, 

Thanks for closing out the May dock and starting June up, all the way from the other side of the world! I'm following your trip closely from the itinerary created using the Travefy App (best travel tool, ever!), as my brother Norm is considering this cruise in the future. He had two exchange students from China living with him, who have since gone on to college, and their being from Xian, he plans a visit at some point. Beijing and Xian must be amazing, and the sites you have seen so far are all must-see-before-you-die places. Unless you've hopped over to Uniworld when I wasn't looking, you'll be boarding the "Emerald" in a few days, and compared to the sleek, luxury river barges of Europe, it definitely is the Anthem of the River. ? Enjoy Tibet and your journey to Shanghai. We have Crazies cards? Ha - didn't know that. Scribble my phone number down on those cards while you're at it!?

Hi Jan!

No, we don’t have crazies cards - I used my entertainer cards, to a small selection of really nice cruise couples.  We’ve had two people who had issues with the altitude, but Yuki and I have been ok.  Gotta run now, headed off to the Jokang Temple!,

Hello from the Yangtze River, Crazies!

We came dowm from Lhasa yesterday, looking like refugees, and poured onto the Empress, a well-appointed, five-deck cruiser which will take us down toward Shanghai.

Jan, we were delighted to find the Welcome Surprise you had waiting for us in our cabin!  We will be sharing that with the table that we are sharing with some really nice, new cruising friends from all over the USA, all of whom are now familiar with our CC group.  We have also told them that we have the best Cruise Consultant ever!!

Miranda, I’ve totally switched over to your gourmet granola-and-yogurt breakfast, just adding walnuts and berries!  Great start to the day...

We’re going to spend the next few days exploring the spectacular scenery along the Three River Gorges area, along with visits to some of the small villages along the way.

Andi, Shari, and all the lurkers, miss you all!

Time for breakfast - Have A Great Day, Crazies!

Happy Tuesday, Crazies!

Ray - So good to read your posts and to know that you are having a great trip.  And no ill effects from the altitude - that's great!  I'm sorry about the ones who did have trouble - I know how they feel.   Can't wait to hear more about your trip and to see pictures.  And can't wait for our 2021 trip!!   Happy travels.

Jan - We should make Crazies cards....maybe with just the logo and the website ... something we can hand out when we invite people to join.  Autumn Rush: The Musical was wonderful; the story line was good, but the music was fabulous!  They won't have a recording of it unless it makes it to Broadway so we all have our fingers crossed here.  I would have bought the CD in a New York minute, ha!  And now, having seen this version of it, I don't think I want to see the original movie....except maybe to see Robin Williams as the Wizard...  How was Waitress?  Loved that movie.

Jackie - Hope you have gotten a bit of a break of the heat... we sure would take some of it up here.  We get one nice day and then it goes cold again...then another nice day and then three cold ones....ugh!

Miranda - Hope all is going well....we are now 65 days out from our cruise!  I'm hoping that all of my personal training sessions will enable me to do some dancing on this one!

Hope everyone has a great week!

Hello Crazies,

We are on the next-to-last day of the cruise ☹️  We have an extension in Shanghai for a couple of days, then we’ll pour ourselves onto another thirteen-hour return air trip.  I’ve been learning a lot about how much I don’t know concerning chinese history and social structure...

Andi, so far the cruise has been really nice, although we need to be picky about our excursions, cuz there are so many.  Best news is that there have been no additional costs involved, including meals out - Viking has covered everything!  Food is great (too great!) and the shows are quite nice.  We’ve met some very nice people on board, and we’ve directed them to CC...  Hopefully we’ll see some new cruisers on the Dock.

Jackie, sorry to be seeing such crazy weather in the US as we catch news on TV.  Makes us scared to come back!

Miranda, you’d like the yogurt selection on board here, but you’d have to improvise for the granola - I’ve been using walnuts, pecans and pumpkin seeds...

Jan, it’s all been positive so far, with a collection of interesting stops and excursions.  The Emerald is nicely appointed, and doesn’t seem at all crowded, despite the 140 passengers on board.  The dining room is never overloaded, nor is the lounge.  Six decks handle all shipboard programs handily.  Although we prepaid our gratuities, we (and many other guests) have decided to give a number of crew a 100% bonus because of the exceptional work they have done.  Plus we have the world’s best cruise agent...

There’s an upcoming excursion, so I need to get ready.

Have A Great Day, Crazies!

Happy Saturday Crazies,

Ray, thanks for keeping us updated.  I'm glad you're enjoying your trip and meeting nice people. Hope to see them on CC and who knows. Good for you being creative on the granola yoghurt. Keep up the good work! And of course I'll keep it in mind, just in case. I do have to admit that my breakfasts on a cruise are WAAAAAAAAAAY larger than when I'm back home. Oh yeah, it contains yoghurt and granola or flakes or both, but also fruit, croissants, bagle and cream cheese, fruit yoghurt, eggs, pancakes. That's why I hardly  need anything else till dinner time ?.

Hope all of you are doing all right and you don't have to be afraid of extreme weather stuff. It's a bit stormy around here, but it's bound to get better again. 

Jan I saw you're message on Roll calls and group cruises. Would be nice if there were more Crazies to join us. Any indication?

Andi, only 61 days Yay.

Have a great weekend y'all.

Miranda

Good morning, 

We're having fabulous weather here, and trying to take advantage of it whenever possible. On Friday, I picked up Amanda, took her to lunch and then we went for a nature walk through the woods close to where I lived as a kid. Back then, there were no man-made walking trails - only narrow paths that led through the woods. My friends and I would go blueberry picking. Now that it's a marked nature area (and much safer than getting lost in the woods!), it's really nice. It used to be fronted by a monastery, but when the monks left back in the 70's, the Town took over to preserve the buildings and the land surrounding it. Not only is it now a place to enjoy nature, it also holds the Town Library. I'm so happy they didn't rip it down and build condos!?

Ray - Enjoy your last days in China and have a safe trip home. If you can rally the troops to join our merry band of friends here, that would be awesome. 

Miranda - Unfortunately, there have been no takers on the last of the cabins available on our Canada cruise, and it looks like it's just you, me, David, Andi and Ed for our group. Still, I'm hoping for some last-minute joiners, but the ship could sell out by then. 

Andi - I'm glad you liked August Rush, and if and when it comes here, I'll be sure to see it. We absolutely loved Waitress - A-plus acting and singing (especially "Jenna", the lead role). After the show, we tried out a great new restaurant downtown with Norm and Dana to round out the afternoon. 

There's a festival in Providence today, so gotta get a move-on. Have a great Sunday!

Good Monday Evening, Crazies!  Got back last night from our yearly Bridge Girls weekend in St. Louis.  We had a great time:  we ate good food; we visited a great farmer's market - it's called the Soulard Farmer's Market and it reminds me of the scene in A Christmas Carol where they are visiting the public market on Christmas morning...everyone bustling about buying fruits and vegetables and fish and anything you can imagine; we visited a very good juried art fair...where I managed to drop my whole allowance on a necklace that I adore; we played bridge until our fingers fell off!  And we will do it all again next year....somewhere...

Weather here is still not summer-like, but it has warmed up a tad.  Now we are only 15 degrees below normal, lol. 

Ray - I imagine you are back home now and possibly still sleeping!  Can't wait to read more about your trip and see some pictures.  What a trip of a lifetime!

Miranda - I adore vacation breakfast.  I also eat way more than I do at home, but that's one thing I look forward to on vacation because I do love breakfast!  Hope the stormy weather has departed.  And now only 59 days to go.....yay!

Jan - Hope you had a nice time at the festival.  Say hi to Norm and Dana for me!

Jackie - Hope weather has cooled off a bit for you all down there...feel free to blow that heat thisaway!

This week is full of meetings and meetings and the dentist and more meetings.  I sure wish I could cancel the dentist because another meeting popped up...fingers crossed.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ANDI  !!!!!!!!

A very happy birthday Andi and have a great day! 

And a very happy Sunday to all Crazies. I hope everybody is doing all right. The weather is pretty good over here, so gonna be outside a bit today. I had a nice Saturday night dancing again. A good friend (ex brother in law) of mine is in a band and that band performed in my home town for the first time. It was great and I hope they'll be back. 

I told you about my friend who died recently. I asked his husband to join us on our cruise. Who knows. 

Have a great day Crazies

Miranda