• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Caribbean Princess Debuts Reef Family Splash Zone

Rate this topic

By Gerry Barker

ABOARD CARIBBEAN PRINCESS_"There she blows!"

There was much anticipation as invited media, guests and Princess personnel stood in front of the big blue whale on Deck 17 of Caribbean Princess, docked at Port Everglades.

We were all there for the debut of The Reef Family Splash Zone, a major new feature added after the ship completed a recent drydock.

Of course, we couldn't attend without bringing along an expert in the field to offer her own assessment, and no one is better qualified than our six-year-old granddaughter, Catherine.

So as we all stood and they began the countdown, Cate and the other children present cheered as the first spout of water erupted from the whate's head. 

The whale and surrounding splashpad offer a number of water features, including a slide in the shape of the whale's tongue, water cannons and sprays. Cate wasted little time trying it all out.

Princess didn't forget the adults, either. Adjacent to the splash area are loungers, couches and chairs, including shaded sections for those who want to escape the sun. It's just the ticket for sipping a beverage while the kids play. 

Speaking of beverages, there's a bar where you get order up a cocktail, or the kids can get a lookalike "mocktail," complete with chocolate sprinkles on the rim and chocolate "straws."

There's also the Game Zone – where kids and their parents can try their hand at Connect Four, Jenga or Cornhole. We've found we are better at sipping beverages than playing games.

While she was sad to leave the Splash Zone, the fun wasn't over yet. One deck down is the Camp Discovery area. Through a partnership with Discovery Consumer Brands, Princess offers a wide array of activities that are both fun and educational through their Discovery at Sea program.

At Camp Discovery -- an area set aside for their young guests -- they have added an outdoor interactive water table, themed around world landmarks, such as the Gold Gate Bridge, the Sydney Opera House and the Panama Canal. 

Needless to say, by the end of the event, Cate had given both the Splash Zone and Camp Discovery the Catherine Barker Seal of Approval. For families looking at a vacation that offers something for everyone, it's hard to beat what you'll find on Caribbean Princess.

(Gerry Barker is a freelance travel writer who has covered the cruise industry for 10 years, formerly with The Palm Beach Post. He and his wife Pam maintain a Cruise Blog on NorthPalmBeachLife.com)

View full article

This is an exciting new enhancement for Caribbean Princess, attractive for kids and families without having to embark on one of the huge mega ships of the other lines. While my husband and I won't have little ones with us when we embark on her in August, and won't be spending much time in the new water park (other than to see the new features), I am looking forward to some of the other new features - the new "Slice" pizza bar, the new modern look of the buffet, two new specialty venues to perhaps try out - BBQ and seafood, and most especially the Medallion features! Well done, Princess!

By the way - if you want to see any of these great new features up close and in person, there are still cabins left on our upcoming CruiseCrazies group Canada/New England cruise August 9th, sailing from Quebec City to New York. Click on the info link in my signature for more info. ??️

On 6/17/2019 at 6:21 AM, Jan115 said:

This is an exciting new enhancement for Caribbean Princess, attractive for kids and families without having to embark on one of the huge mega ships of the other lines. While my husband and I won't have little ones with us when we embark on her in August, and won't be spending much time in the new water park (other than to see the new features), I am looking forward to some of the other new features - the new "Slice" pizza bar, the new modern look of the buffet, two new specialty venues to perhaps try out - BBQ and seafood, and most especially the Medallion features! Well done, Princess!

By the way - if you want to see any of these great new features up close and in person, there are still cabins left on our upcoming CruiseCrazies group Canada/New England cruise August 9th, sailing from Quebec City to New York. Click on the info link in my signature for more info. ??️

Wow!  I didn't realize the latest drydock was going to be so extensive!  Not thrilled about the new water park, but definitely want to check out the new dining options!  We'll be on her in 47 days, but who's counting!