Jump to content
  • We'd love for you to participate.

    Create an account

    Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now
  • Sign in to follow this  

    Passports 101: How to Apply, Renew or Replace It

    The process of obtaining, renewing, or updating a passport is exactly what one would expect when working with a government agency: tedious, mind-numbing, and overly complex. While you'll find everything you need to know about the often befuddling process on the
    U.S. State Department website
    , we've made things a little simpler for you by breaking down the basics—from forms to fees to IDs—and providing helpful links to the appropriate forms and websites.

    To Get Your First Passport

    To get your first passport, you'll have to show up in person. Make an appointment at an acceptance facility or passport agency; search for the one closest to you here. You likely live near a facility where you can get a passport. Many post offices and even some public libraries can accept passport applications. Arrive at your passport agency with:

    • Your filled-in
    DS-11 application form
• Evidence of U.S. citizenship. Find a
    list of acceptable documents here
• Valid identification. Find a
    list of acceptable ID here
• A photocopy of the front and back of the identification you're bringing on clean, white 8½" x 11" paper.
• Your
    application fee
    . For a first-time adult passport, the total fee is $135.
• Passport photos. You can read more about the
    specifications for passport photos here
    . But most major drug stores, such as
    , will sell appropriately sized passport photos that comply with government standards; this makes things a little easier.

    Renewing a passport

    You have two options here: Either you have your old passport or you don't. If the former's true, you can apply through the mail as long as your most recent passport is undamaged, was issued when you were at least 16 years old, and isn't more than 15 years old. If you are nodding "yes" to all of that, simply mail in your old passport with the required documents and photos, and you'll receive a new one in the mail in roughly four to six weeks. (Don't worry. You'll get your old passport back.) Here's what you need:
    Form DS-82
    , your renewal fee ($110 for an adult), passport photos, and your old passport. Get more information about renewing a passport through the mail

    Keep in mind that if you've changed your name since your last passport was issued, include an original certificate or court order that documents this; those without such papers must apply for a renewal in person.

    Don't have your old passport? Then you can't get a passport renewed by mail. Head to a
    passport agency
    in person.

    Lost or stolen passports

    If your previous passport was lost or stolen, you'll have to apply for a new one in person. You'll need to bring two forms in this case: the standard
    DS-11 passport application
    Form DS-64
    , which asks you to describe what happened to your little blue book.

    Unfortunately, a replacement passport isn't free. You'll have to pay the standard application fee—$135—when applying for your new passport. Refer to the "Getting your first passport" section above; it lists everything else you'll need to bring with you, including passport photos and identification.

    Remember to always report your passport as missing the moment you're sure it's gone. You can do this by calling 1-877-487-2778.

    Lost or stolen passports abroad

    First and foremost, be prepared! Always travel with a photocopy of your passport and other identification, such as a driver's license or birth certificate; this will make your situation much easier if (knock on wood) your passport disappears.

    The State Department advises that American travelers get in touch with the closest U.S. embassy or consulate if they lose their passports while abroad. You'll have to go there in person to get a new passport in order to return home. In
    What to Do If You've Lost Your Bag, Wallet, Everything
    , Rick Steves writes, "A replacement passport costs $140 and can generally be issued within a few days, or faster if you make a good case that you need it right away. If you don't have the funds, the embassy will help you contact someone at home who can wire money directly to the embassy."

    Adding pages to a passport

    Do you require additional passport pages? If so, we're totally jealous. Beef up your blue book by mailing in
    Form DS-4085
    along with your almost-full passport and the required $82 fee. According to the State Department, it's the right time to ask for more paper when you have two to four empty pages left in your passport. So keep a close eye on the status of your visa pages if you're an avid traveler.

    Expediting a passport

    You can get your passport expedited in roughly two to three weeks (door-to-door) via the State Department when you pay an extra $60 plus $12.85 for overnight delivery in addition to the standard processing fees. (Processing times can vary, so check the
    State Department site
    for the most up-to-date estimate.)

    Need it sooner? Schedule an appointment to show up in person at a regional passport agency if you require a passport for travel within two weeks.

    We don't normally recommend using passport expediting services, which sometimes charge hundreds of dollars to secure passports in as little as 24 hours, unless you're desperate. If you have enough time to get your passport directly through the traditional government channels, do it that way. It'll save you a ton of money.

    You can check the
    status of a pending passport application here

    Changing your name on your passport

    Good news: There's no fee for changing the name on your passport if your passport was issued less than a year ago. If the book's more than a year old, though, you must pay standard renewal fees.

    To change your name, fill out the appropriate form (use
    Form DS-5504
    if your current passport is less than a year old and
    Form DS-82
    if your passport is more than a year old) and mail it with your current passport, original proof of name change, a passport photo, and renewal fees, if necessary. Read more about
    tweaking your name on your passport here
    . And congratulations on your new moniker.

    Passports for kids

    For children ages 15 and younger, the fees and requirements for getting a passport are a little different than those for adults. Essentially, parents need to provide identification in addition to proof that they are legal guardians for child applicants. Guardians in two-parent households must appear together with the young applicants or provide a notarized statement of consent from the absentee adult. Single parents must appear in person as well. And all parents must show
    proof of legal guardianship
    ; this would include a birth certificate or a court order.

    A passport for a minor costs $105. And the usual—
    Form DS-11
    , a standard passport photo, and the appropriate identification for parent(s) and child—must be brought to your local passport office. Read more about
    getting a passport for a child here

    By Caroline Costello, SmarterTravel.com

    For more cruise news & articles go to

    Re-posted on CruiseCrazies.com - Cruise News, Articles, Forums, Packing List, Ship Tracker, and more:
    Sign in to follow this  

    User Feedback

    Recommended Comments

    Here’s something we’ve noticed: Using your passport even when you don’t need to can be really helpful. When we’re flying just within the US (say to Las Vegas or Chicago) we still use our passports at the airport and seem to get through everything – especially security – faster than the folks who are using other types of ID!

    Share this comment

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Join the conversation

    You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

    Add a comment...

    ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

      Only 75 emoji are allowed.

    ×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

    ×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

    ×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Cruise Secrets Revealed!
  • Create New...