Hike, drive, ride, fish, climb, sail, row, bob, fly or surf in locales from western France up to the Arctic Circle and over to Iceland with Crystal Cruises in Northern Europe from May to September. The ultra-luxe line has set more than 100 new boutique Crystal Adventures to take maximum advantage of the region's abundant outdoor opportunities and stunning natural beauty.
On new outings, outdoor enthusiasts can:
- River Raft Iceland's glacial Hvita River (outside Reyjkavik).
- Rock Climb Ireland's Mourne Mountains (CS Lewis's Narnia-inspiration) outside Belfast, or rappel down a Dalkey quarry after taking in the view of Dublin.
- Surf in Biarritz, with Quicksilver's world-class surf school instruction (from St.-Jean-de-Luz).
- Tank-Drivea vintage WWII battle tank for two miles near Portland.
- Helicopter over Paris and Versailles (from Honfleur), Bordeaux wine country, or Iceland's recently-erupted Eyjafjallajokull volcano (from Reykjavik)
- Olympic Wheelbob down Lillehammer's Olympic Bob & Luge Track outside Oslo.
- Horseback Ride through the "Garden of Ireland"/County Wicklow outside Dublin, Finnish countryside and forest near Helsinki, or mountains outside maiden call Akureyri, the latteron the back of Icelandic horses descended from the Viking Age.
- Kayak past colorful Copenhagen via its harbor and canals or the natural beauty of coastal northern Norway (from Tromso).
- Hike the chalky Dorset coastline in Portland, England or Norway's highest mountain, Mt. Ulriken (in Bergen).
- Fish the Finnish Archipelago, Geirangerfjord or near Reykjavik (sea angling).
- ATV or 4x4 Drivethrough North Cape's gateway, Mageroya Island (Honningsvag) or past glacial Icelandic landscape to either a lobster lunch or snowmobile adventure (Reykjavik).
- Boatpast Helsinki's seaside villas and lighthouses by catamaran; discover caves and orkas in maiden call Heimaey, Iceland by RIB or motorboat; spot puffins on a RIB sea safari to Runde Island (near Alesund, Norway); or scout for sea eagles by Zodiacin Lofoten, Norway (maiden call).
- Soak weary, post-activity bones in a natural geothermic/volcanic lagoon en route to stunning Godafoss, a.k.a. "Waterfall of the Gods" (from Akureyri).
- Other new boutique excursions that focus on the arts and off-beat experiences (and require less adrenalin!):
- Blown Glassmaking near Saint-Malo: Fashion your own blown glasswork at a local studio.
- Venturing Off-the-Beaten-Path in Berlin: Explore living as the locals do, with shopping at the fruit and vegetable market, riding the Underground, and going inside a typical local apartment.
- Painting in St. Petersburg: Take a painting master class at Russia's largest private modern art gallery.
- Evening Walking with a Night Watchman in Copenhagen: Take a different type of walking tour, at night, with a traditional uniformed, and informed, local "night watchman."
- "Titanic Experience" in Belfast: Visit the new Titanic museum on the centennial anniversary of the ship's sinking.
- Gourmet Dining and Wine Tasting in Bordeaux:From slow food to Medoc wine, join local experts in exploring the region's legendary estates, including a gala dinner at Chateau Haut-Bailly.
- Many Crystal Adventures offer new Private Options for couples. For even more intimate time ashore, guests can also custom-craft a Crystal Private Adventure or take an Overland Adventure, such as a two-day trip to Moscow from St. Petersburg.
Until April 30, "Book Now" fares for Crystal's Northern Europe cruises start at $2,965 per person/double occupancy for eleven days sailing from London to Hamburg. Additional savings are available for combining select voyages, groups of six or more, or sharing the experience with someone new-to-Crystal. Attractive air add-ons are also available from more than 90 North American airports.
Crystal's passion for creating exclusive, eye-opening luxury shore-side experiences are cornerstones of its Crystal Adventures program, earning the line top ratings for two decades.