• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Cruise Rituals, Anyone?

Rate this topic

Jason

The one thing I do on every cruise is keep a journal from the begining of planning our cruise until we return home from the cruise. I than type it all in word and keep copies on disk for reference later on. After all we do not always remember everything accurately after a few years.

We always go out to dinner the night before we leave. It started when we first started cruising. When I got home from work on the Friday night, it seemed a good way to get us into the vacation spirit, so we would go out for dinner before leaving for the airport. We've done it ever since and it is now considered part of the vacation.

• 3 months later...

We pour bleach down all the toilets and close the lids to prevent any little frogs from coming up the pipes. We disconnect the automatic garage door opener so that it can't accidentally open up , which has happened in the past. We make sure our gates are closed, the alarm is on and the vcr is set to record. We also eat dinner out the night before. After all that's done, we try to contain our excitement until we get down to the port. And then .....................whoa!!!

I also take a notepad and pen and keep a daily journal of what we did everyday on the cruise. When we get home and I put the photo album together, I type everything up that's in the journal and put it in the back of the photo album. One of our silliest rituals is to always stop at the exact same gas station on the way to the port to fill up the tank. Just because of coincidence, on the first two cruises we took, we needed gas and stopped at the same gas station. So now we always stop and get gas at that same station.

I also start a journal of sorts. I go out and buy a binder, the kind you can put something in the cover where I put a picture of the ship we will be taking with the dates of the cruise, and also sheet protectors and keep everything in it regarding the cruise. My TA was astounded. I take this with me on the cruise and keep menus and daily activitiy sheets in it. I also take a booklet called Cruise Diary and enter into it all we did each day and also all expenses so I can check the on board bill and also know what was purcheased and for how much and where for customs. This all goes home with me for show and tell later.