• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Tales about table mates

Rate this topic

GottaCruz

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have any funny stories but we have had several interesting tablemates. On our first cruise to Alaska we had the Indonesian Ambassador and his wife who were living in Washington DC at the time. A very nice couple and they were celebrating their anniversary at the time.

We had some tablemates who were from Vancouver BC on our Panama Canal cruise who were born and raised in China. It was quite interesting listening to the stories of how they grew up. They were very active people also and we still keep in touch by email.

Our first cruise after we were married was aboard Regal Princess to the W. Carib. We had two Canadian single women with us at a table for four. When we visited Cozumel...our first time there....we ran into them at Carlos and Charlies. It was in the former location where people used to stick business cards on the wall. There were our two tablemates drinking yards of margarita's, dancing on tables, and having a great time. That is the last we saw of them for the rest of the cruise. Must have been a heck of a hangover. :D

O goodness where do I begin. :rolleyes: :unsure: :o We were cruising with 2 friends on the AOS to the caribbean in May. On a roll call board we met another couple who we became ( and still are) fast friends with. So we then made sure we all sat together. In the meantime this couple invited another couple to join us. The other person who had joined the roll call seemed nice enough, so we agreed, figuring that it was beter than having a stranger at the table. Boy were we wrong! The wife in this couple was ...how to be nice...obnoxious!<]

Nothing the waiter did was right, the food was not up to par ( I do not think she was happy with one meal), the shows did not please her and so on. By the second day we knew we were not going to be happy with her but since the others were great ( and her husband was very nice) we decided to stick it out. But the night we were in Aruba we chose to eat in Carlos and Charlie's just to give ourselves a break. And on the second formal night they ate at Portofino's. :D So we did get a little break. But here is the strange part. Now the AOS is A BIG ship<]. But no matter where we went we would run into them...well, luckily they hate Johnny Rockets :lol: And we had one or two tours they did not take. But It was a kink in a perfectly wonderful trip. Oh well, live and learn! :rolleyes:

Lots of memories of good tablemates but we have had a few that we would like to forget for sure. Most have been so nice and we still talk on the phone or email each other.

A few we would like to forget...one was a lady that was on a diet...she brought her desserts on the cruise and at the end expected to take them home with her. When she found out you could not take food off the ship, she was MAD! :o Nothing was prepared right or had to be fixed over.

Another time we had some people at our table that could speak 5 different languages but could not speak English. Believe it or not...we did manage with the help of another sweet couple to have fun with them.

Saved this one for last....the couple that did not talk while at the table. They informed us they liked things quite while they were eating and while drinking coffee at the end...we could speak, LOL. If you are thinking...I would have moved....you are right!!!

We have been very fortunate with table mates. On one of our early cruises we met a couple from Arizona. We were cruising with our teenage daughters. We became very friendly and kept in touch with them, visited with each other over the years, went on two other cruises with them and they came to both our daughters weddings.

We have stayed in touch with a lot of recent table mates through the magic of e-mail.

Two couples that we met on Tahitian Princess earlier this year are spending a weekend with us in December, our second get together since May.

We've always had great tablemates, and on the last cruise, one of our tablemates wanted to play a joke on my brother-in-law. He told our waiter that it was his birthday and had him bring him a cake and, all the waiters came over to sing to him, and the maitre d' even stopped by. I was a little nervous about his doing this at first, because it wasn't really my BIL's birthday, but it turned out to be really funny.

My brother-in-law was quite surprised, and amused.

• 3 weeks later...

On our very first cruise, we were seated with another family of four. They were so friendly, the children were very sweet and well-behaved. They had a great sense of humor and we thoroughly enjoyed their company. We had excellent service in the dining room and the waiter and helper were kind , helpful, friendly and did their absolute best. Imagine how shocked we were when , on the last evening, the other family did not show up for dinner. I just can't imagine why they would do that. (I'm being sarcastic, of course) We felt emarrassed for them and saw the disappointment in the eyes of the staff. Unbelievable.

On our very first cruise, we were seated with another family of four. They were so friendly, the children were very sweet and well-behaved. They had a great sense of humor and we thoroughly enjoyed their company. We had excellent service in the dining room and the waiter and helper were kind , helpful, friendly and did their absolute best. Imagine how shocked we were when , on the last evening, the other family did not show up for dinner. I just can't imagine why they would do that. (I'm being sarcastic, of course) We felt emarrassed for them and saw the disappointment in the eyes of the staff. Unbelievable.