• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

What type of weather have you experienced

Rate this topic

Taichi

I know that we can experience different weather changes all year round. Grand Caymans caught me off guard with a downpour that lasted hours, needless to say we were totally soaked, going back to the ship was not possible, so we made the best of it.

But I am interested to know in going to the Caribbeans what type of weather have you experienced in the winter that you wasn't prepared for?

We've never cruised in the winter. Latest has been November and the earliest April. We have experienced some "different" weather however. On Sun Viking, a relatively small ship, we sailed just after Hurricane Gabriel. We had huge swells, like forty feet high. They were very long amplitude, several minutes between peaks, so it was very smooth. One moment you were literally on top of the world and could see forever, then when the ship was in the bottom of the swell, all you could see was water, high up on either side. It was a two week cruise and was cut short by one day as Hurricane Hugo chased us out.

Other than that, we've usually lucked out.

We've sailed through some pretty bad storms, and had rough seas more than once, but the weather in the ports we were in always seemed to be good. When we went to Hawaii ten years ago in February, it was unseasonably cold for the first few days(around 55 at night)but the rest of the two weeks were perfect.

• 1 year later...

We've gone in Dec for the last two cruises and again this year. Generally the weather has been good except in 1999 coming through the Panama Canal on the RC Vision of the Seas. Just out of lake Gatun the weather got wild and wooly to say the least. The waves got to a constant 22 ft. + and with gale force winds. We could not go outside for fear of being blown overboard. Some of the passengers were getting sick (me too) from the tossing and turning. They asked the passengers to stay in their rooms or in the public rooms because it was hard to just walk down the hall. It all lasted for 30 hours and when we got to Aruba we found that it had been raining for a solid week and everything was literally flooded. There were parts of the island our van driver could not even get too, so we are looking forward to going there again someday when it is sunny and dry. Because we were on Sea days during the storm we really didn't miss anything besides Aruba, so all in all we did not let that experience keep us from booking another cruise. I believe you have to come prepared for rain so we carry a poncho in our day pack. If you have dollar stores near by they are 2 for $1 and they come in a handy sealed bag until you need them.

Here's hoping all our cruise days will be sunny and filled with joy.