• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

first time cruiser

Rate this topic

GottaCruz - for the sea lice you can really only treat the symptoms (I belive) - for itching and redness try an over the counter hydrocortisone cream...and maybe take a Benadryl orally for the itching too. I know of no way of preventing sea lice (or anything else)..except that when I was in high school, I got severe blisters on my heels and I had to wear flip flops all summer...and the doctor told my mother to slather vaseline on my heels if I wanted to go swimming...maybe a thin layer of vaseline where she is prone to getting the sea lice bites might help.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GottaCruz - for the sea lice you can really only treat the symptoms (I belive) - for itching and redness try an over the counter hydrocortisone cream...and maybe take a Benadryl orally for the itching too. I know of no way of preventing sea lice (or anything else)..except that when I was in high school, I got severe blisters on my heels and I had to wear flip flops all summer...and the doctor told my mother to slather vaseline on my heels if I wanted to go swimming...maybe a thin layer of vaseline where she is prone to getting the sea lice bites might help.

sailinglisa,

Thank you for the advice. I'm definitely going to try the vaseline next time. I just wonder if, because my daughter always wears a one-piece suit, are they getting trapped next to her skin instead of just floating off in the water? Could this be a factor?

sailinglisa,

Thank you for the advice. I'm definitely going to try the vaseline next time. I just wonder if, because my daughter always wears a one-piece suit, are they getting trapped next to her skin instead of just floating off in the water? Could this be a factor?

With a one-piece suit , it would be hard for her to rinse off well when she comes out of the pool but maybe I can talk her into wearing a two-piece bathing suit . That way, every time she comes out of the pool , she could rinse off and dry the area a lot easier than in a one-piece. I don't know if I can talk her into a two-piece but I'm going to try and if not, I will definitely use your tip about the vaseline. Thanks so much, sailinglisa. :D

With a one-piece suit , it would be hard for her to rinse off well when she comes out of the pool but maybe I can talk her into wearing a two-piece bathing suit . That way, every time she comes out of the pool , she could rinse off and dry the area a lot easier than in a one-piece. I don't know if I can talk her into a two-piece but I'm going to try and if not, I will definitely use your tip about the vaseline. Thanks so much, sailinglisa. :D

Excellent tips! Don't forget to bring your hair dryer. Some of the ones on the ship aren't very good!

This might seem a little strange, but I always bring a little travel bottle of Lysol and some wipes along to wipe off the bathroom counter, toilet and shower myself when we first get in the room.

If you wear glasses, you should bring an extra pair or a pair of contacts just in case of emergencies.

Excellent tips! Don't forget to bring your hair dryer. Some of the ones on the ship aren't very good!

This might seem a little strange, but I always bring a little travel bottle of Lysol and some wipes along to wipe off the bathroom counter, toilet and shower myself when we first get in the room.

If you wear glasses, you should bring an extra pair or a pair of contacts just in case of emergencies.