• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Anyone ever cruise with an infant?

Rate this topic

GiWiz

We are planning a cruise with our 11 year old daughter in February. It will most likely be a four night cruise to the Bahamas. Since it is a four night cruise I am up in the air about whether or not to take our infant son (he will be 5 months old at the time of the cruise). Since I have been on other cruises, I know that some people do it and they seem perfectly at ease with it, but I wasn't sure if it was more of a European trend? Has anyone ever taken their infant? Had a good/bad experience with another guests infant? Thanks.

We are planning a cruise with our 11 year old daughter in February. It will most likely be a four night cruise to the Bahamas. Since it is a four night cruise I am up in the air about whether or not to take our infant son (he will be 5 months old at the time of the cruise). Since I have been on other cruises, I know that some people do it and they seem perfectly at ease with it, but I wasn't sure if it was more of a European trend? Has anyone ever taken their infant? Had a good/bad experience with another guests infant? Thanks.

Welcome aboard, GiWiz. We're so glad to have you here at CruiseCrazies and so glad to see you posting. :D

I've seen people on cruises with infants and yes, they do seem at ease. In fact, I've often remarked to my hubby that it's probably easier to travel with an infant than my daughter, who we work very hard to keep track of day and night. :D

I don't know if you're sailing Carnival or not, GiWiz, but on Carnival , there were certain hours of the day that the camp counselors would even babysit infants. You might want to check into that on whatever ship you sail .

Please don't hesitate to ask whatever questions you may have. We hope to see you posting often. Sincerely, Cheryl

Welcome aboard, GiWiz. We're so glad to have you here at CruiseCrazies and so glad to see you posting. :D

I've seen people on cruises with infants and yes, they do seem at ease. In fact, I've often remarked to my hubby that it's probably easier to travel with an infant than my daughter, who we work very hard to keep track of day and night. :D

I don't know if you're sailing Carnival or not, GiWiz, but on Carnival , there were certain hours of the day that the camp counselors would even babysit infants. You might want to check into that on whatever ship you sail .

Please don't hesitate to ask whatever questions you may have. We hope to see you posting often. Sincerely, Cheryl

Hi GiWiz!

Speaking from experience, it is easier to travel with an infant than an older child. But -- first make sure that the cruise line will allow a 5-month old to cruise. Most lines have a minimum age of at least 6 months, although some will make exceptions.

Our son was 11 months old on his first cruise, and we had a wonderful experience. We brought a lightweight umbrella stroller, which was essential for getting around both on the ship and in port. (We carried him into the dining room though, as space is usally tight.) Waiters doted on him, as did several passengers. Should you go, it's usually better to opt for early dining as that is when most families dine. If you are concerned about other passengers, as we certainly were, request a table for four in the dining room.

I'll be happy to answer any other questions you may have. And, welcome to CruiseCrazies!

Edited to add: The fact that you asked about experiences with other passengers' infants shows me that you are a considerate person, so I doubt your young one will create a bad experience for others.

Hi GiWiz!

Speaking from experience, it is easier to travel with an infant than an older child. But -- first make sure that the cruise line will allow a 5-month old to cruise. Most lines have a minimum age of at least 6 months, although some will make exceptions.

Our son was 11 months old on his first cruise, and we had a wonderful experience. We brought a lightweight umbrella stroller, which was essential for getting around both on the ship and in port. (We carried him into the dining room though, as space is usally tight.) Waiters doted on him, as did several passengers. Should you go, it's usually better to opt for early dining as that is when most families dine. If you are concerned about other passengers, as we certainly were, request a table for four in the dining room.

I'll be happy to answer any other questions you may have. And, welcome to CruiseCrazies!

Edited to add: The fact that you asked about experiences with other passengers' infants shows me that you are a considerate person, so I doubt your young one will create a bad experience for others.

Thanks for the input. We have always cruised with Carnival in the past, but it would be RCCL this time. I did not look into the minimum yet, but I did see on their site that they will only provide babysitting services for children 1 year and older.

At five months I figure my son will sleep through most stuff and probably won't even be noticed, but you never know. I used to be one of those people who got annoyed with other people's whining/crying children.....a cruise is a big expense, I don't want to ruin it for other people.

I still welcome any other feedback....thanks!

Gina

Thanks for the input. We have always cruised with Carnival in the past, but it would be RCCL this time. I did not look into the minimum yet, but I did see on their site that they will only provide babysitting services for children 1 year and older.

At five months I figure my son will sleep through most stuff and probably won't even be noticed, but you never know. I used to be one of those people who got annoyed with other people's whining/crying children.....a cruise is a big expense, I don't want to ruin it for other people.

I still welcome any other feedback....thanks!

Gina

Hi Giwiz, My hubby and I cruised with my 5 month old and 2 year old, back in 93'. My personal opinion is that the baby was a breeze, the 2 year old not so easy!! The baby had his car seat that we carried him around in and that he sat in quite happily, at meal time he sat in that or in a high chair that the staff always had out and ready for him. We did bring some of his own toys to chew on as he was not yet eating ( well may-be just a bit of pablum) so at meal time he got a bit bored. The two year old sure had fun , and the waiters were very kind to him but he made a mess( dropping his crackers etc.) and he didn't like sitting in his high chair for more than 20 minutes or so( so daddy and I took turns speed eating!) The baby was ALOT easier.he often just fell asleep. I made sure to breast feed him right before dinner ( in cabin) and then he was offered a water bottle( It was so hot) at meal time( which he usaully rejected!)

My hubby and I turn turns going to the cabin to "nap" ( I would usaully read) and it was of course the 2 year old who had a harder time adjusting to the " new " bed "new" room etc. The baby could care less! The baby slept with us( the bed was big enough) even though at home he slept in his own crib.

I guess what I'm trying to say is GO FOR IT! The baby will be easy and an 11 yer old is old enough for the programs and can be on her own a bit( no doubt with a friend she'll meet in the program!)

Hi Giwiz, My hubby and I cruised with my 5 month old and 2 year old, back in 93'. My personal opinion is that the baby was a breeze, the 2 year old not so easy!! The baby had his car seat that we carried him around in and that he sat in quite happily, at meal time he sat in that or in a high chair that the staff always had out and ready for him. We did bring some of his own toys to chew on as he was not yet eating ( well may-be just a bit of pablum) so at meal time he got a bit bored. The two year old sure had fun , and the waiters were very kind to him but he made a mess( dropping his crackers etc.) and he didn't like sitting in his high chair for more than 20 minutes or so( so daddy and I took turns speed eating!) The baby was ALOT easier.he often just fell asleep. I made sure to breast feed him right before dinner ( in cabin) and then he was offered a water bottle( It was so hot) at meal time( which he usaully rejected!)

My hubby and I turn turns going to the cabin to "nap" ( I would usaully read) and it was of course the 2 year old who had a harder time adjusting to the " new " bed "new" room etc. The baby could care less! The baby slept with us( the bed was big enough) even though at home he slept in his own crib.

I guess what I'm trying to say is GO FOR IT! The baby will be easy and an 11 yer old is old enough for the programs and can be on her own a bit( no doubt with a friend she'll meet in the program!)