• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Dining preference

Rate this topic

KeithnRita

We prefer the early sitting because we like to see the evening show at a decent time and it leaves some digestion time before the midnight buffets.

We have found that the early sitting leaves ample time even after a long day of activities.

Clint

Free Spirit Gallery

http://www.FreeSpiritGallery.ca

Exquisite Eskimo Inuit Art & Northwest Indian Art

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Had late seating one time and hated it. I ate more than I normally would because I was always starving by my normal dinner time and had to snack to hold me over till dinner. Plus, I'm an early riser, so I would always do breakfast and lunch in the Cafes at my usual (early seating) times.

I always had enough time to get my excursions in and get back for dinner. I'm the type that doesn't like to stay on shore till the last minute, just in case the ship leaves w/o me. More often than not, the ship sails long before dinner starts. Since I nearly always sail in the winter months, it's dark by 6:00 anyway.

• 3 years later...

I'm not sure why Joey dragged up this very old thread, but for what it's worth ....

I agree with the poster who say that early is generally too early, and late too late. For 6 of our 12 cruises, that wasn't a problem: five of them were on samll ships with open seating (Windstar 3, Radisson/Regent 2), and one (Avalon Poetry) was on a river cruiser with fixed seatingat 7 or 7:30. For the other six cruises, we had to choose a seating.

On our first cruise, we chose early seating but were assigned late. It nearly ruined our cruise. We are extreme early birds, and ended up needing to eat snacks in the bar or from room service just to hold us until dinner. When we finished dinner, we were too tired to go to the shows, and too bloated to get to sleep. We felt out of sorts the entire trip.

At this point, meal setting is a deal breaker. We'll always choose early, and will try to cancel a cruise if we're assigned to late seating.

I think next time, we'll make our decision based on which port we leave from. Being on Mountain Time, I would prefer late seating if sailing from the East Coast again; probably early seating of sailing the West Coast.

Plus the Itinerary.. when you sail in Europe everyone tends to eat late..