• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Have you been to Mayan ruins?

Rate this topic

DaCruzNut

My oldest son is an archeologist and, about 20 years ago, went on a dig with National Geographic. He spent several months in Belize, working on a Mayan ruin. When he returned, his enthusiasm was infectious, and I caught the bug. After having read a number of books about the Maya, and the other pre-Columbian, Meso-American, indiginous peoples of Mexico, thanks to cruising, I have had a chance to visit a number of ruins, myself.

alt text

My favorite, so far, is Uxmal. Some of the structures are truly amazing, and it has the only oval pyramid found, to date.

I love Tulum, mostly because of its setting. As the only Maya city built on the coast, it has a special appeal.

And, then there's Chichen Itza.....

I think the wonder of it all is that these were all stone-age people, and they did not have use of metal tools, beasts of burden, the wheel, or anything but stone tools and their bare hands....

Have you visited any ruins? Which ones? What's your opinion?

My oldest son is an archeologist and, about 20 years ago, went on a dig with National Geographic. He spent several months in Belize, working on a Mayan ruin. When he returned, his enthusiasm was infectious, and I caught the bug. After having read a number of books about the Maya, and the other pre-Columbian, Meso-American, indiginous peoples of Mexico, thanks to cruising, I have had a chance to visit a number of ruins, myself.

alt text

My favorite, so far, is Uxmal. Some of the structures are truly amazing, and it has the only oval pyramid found, to date.

I love Tulum, mostly because of its setting. As the only Maya city built on the coast, it has a special appeal.

I think the wonder of it all is that these were all stone-age people, and they did not have use of metal tools, beasts of burden, the wheel, or anything but stone tools and their bare hands....

alt text

Our ship stopped at Playa Del Carmen to visit Tulum on one cruise, and I really wanted to take the tour, but, I was too pooped to get up at 4:30 in the morning to get ready for the tour. Maybe next time!! Our daughter did go on the tour with my brother and his wife, so we have some nice pictures.

Our ship stopped at Playa Del Carmen to visit Tulum on one cruise, and I really wanted to take the tour, but, I was too pooped to get up at 4:30 in the morning to get ready for the tour. Maybe next time!! Our daughter did go on the tour with my brother and his wife, so we have some nice pictures.

We visited the Tulum pyramids. It was a very hot, humid trip, but very well worth while. As you say, the setting is beautiful, right on the beach. Anyone visiting the ruins should do it on a tour or get an authorised guide. Doing it by yourself and trying to get the "folklore" out of a book, you miss a lot.