• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Tours?

Rate this topic

jdmoon1

Hi Jackie,

Yes there should be taxis lined up nearby the pier, ready to whisk you to anywhere you want. If I remember correctly, they do charge by the person. Then again, each island may do this differently.

Anyone else know?

Most of the tours that we have taken by taxi have charged by the person or couple. Our last tour of Acapulco(in an air conditioned van) was $70 per couple. We were with another couple, and they paid the same. We also gave him a nice tip, because he was great!

Have fun on your cruise, Jackie!

If you're doing the "standard" Eastern Caribbean ports, I may be able to help...

If you're stopping in San Juan, the ship docks right in the heart of the Old City, and you need only do a walking tour. You can get town maps on-line, on the ship as you debark to the port or at the dock, as you get off the ship.

El Morro is at the far end of town, and is on a hill. I usually walk there, first, while I still have energy to tour the fort. Personally, I could spend my entire day the the fort...

alt text

From there, I work my way back, slowly, through town (mostly downhill...) and back to the ship.

There is also a free trolley car, that runs through the whole town, sponsored by the local tourist board. It gives you a good overview, and you can get on-and-off at various stops.

In St. Thomas, the ships dock in various areas. Some even tender... So, you may be walking distance to Charlotte Amalie, the town, or you may have to take a taxi. There are also trams fro one of the docks.

Once in town, you can book an island tour, right on the street. They run $8.00 to $15.00 p.p., depending on the season, and how well you haggle... They are run on converted trucks with 12-16 seats. They're safer than they look, and you'll get to see Magen's Bay, Mountain Top, etc;

You'll get back with plenty of time to shop. If you're going to St. Maarten, hold off on the shopping 'til then. St. Maarten has much better prices.

If it's not your first trip to St, Thomas, grab the ferry to St. John...