• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Id's required for boarding???

Rate this topic

NumbSkull

We are down to just under a week before our first cruise, and got all our info today in the mail from Carnival...but I am confused on 1 thing.

In 1 portion of the paperwork, it says that only a picture ID is required to board...and in another portion, it says that we must have a current or expired within the last 10 years passport, an original birth certificate, a state stamped birth certificate, a military ID card, or 1 other thing.

Sooooo...can we get by with just our drivers licenses, OR do we need to have our licenses and 1 of the other items as well???

Everyone who travels out of the country SHOULD have a passport. You are leaving your country and entering foriegn ones.

Barbados will soon be REQUIRING a passport for entry. And it is any countries RIGHT to demand one before granting entry. The birth cert. and DL that are used by many are a COURTESY extended to Americans, but can be revoked at any time.

I absolutely do not understand the Amercian reluctance to obtain and use the proper Id.. If someone could explain to me I would appreiciate it . It costs about 80 bucks and it is good for 10 years. I KNOW that many of you spend more on your weekly ( daily!) bar bill when cruising, so I asssume its not the money!?

Sorry , Dreamer, but I must, respectfully, disagree with you, in part.

Conceded, you should have a Passport. It makes things a lot easier.

However, most Caribbean nations do not require one. It is not a "courtesy," but an agreement reached between the Caribbean nations and the U.S. State Department.

alt text

ARUBA - Passport or proof of U.S. citizenship (original-official birth or naturalization certificate and photo ID) required. Visa not required for stay of up to 3 months after arrival.

BAHAMAS - Proof of U.S. citizenship, i.e., a passport (if you are using an expired passport it cannot be expired more than 5 years) or original or certified copy of a birth certificate with a photo ID, and onward/return ticket required for stay of up to 8 months.

BARBADOS - *Passport or proof of U.S. citizenship and proof of sufficient funds are required. Tourists traveling directly from the U.S. to Barbados may be allowed to enter for up to 3 months stay with proof of U.S. citizenship (original or certified copy of birth certificate), photo ID and onward/return ticket. A passport is required for longer visits and other types of travel.

BERMUDA - Passport (or proof of U.S. citizenship with photo ID) and onward/return ticket required for tourist stay of up to 3 months.

DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - Passport is strongly recommended, but tourists may enter with birth certificate and photo ID. A tourist card is required. Minors under 18 years of age traveling alone, with only one parent, or a third party must present written authorization by the absent parent(s) or legal guardian.

GRENADA - Passport is recommended, but tourists may enter with birth certificate and photo ID.

JAMAICA - Passport or original birth or naturalization certificate and valid driver’s license or state-issued photo ID, onward or return ticket, and proof of sufficient funds required.

MEXICO - *Proof of citizenship and photo ID.

PANAMA - *Passport or proof of U.S. citizenship and photo ID, tourist card or visa, proof of sufficient funds, and onward/return ticket required. Visa and tourist card valid 30 days.

SAINT KITTS AND NEVIS - Passport or proof of U.S. citizenship, photo ID, and onward/return ticket required for, stay of up to 3 months.

SAINT LUCIA - Passport or proof of U.S. citizenship and photo ID and return/onward ticket required for stay of up to 6 months.

VIRGIN ISLANDS, British - Islands include Anegarda, Jost van ######, Tortola, and Virgin Gorda.

WEST INDIES, British - Islands include Anguilla, Montserrat, Cayman Islands, Turks and Caicos. Proof of U.S. citizenship, photo ID, onward/return ticket, and sufficient funds required for tourist stay of up to 6 months.

Even those islands which are listed as, "Passport requires," waive that requirement for cruise ship passengers with stays of less than 24 hours.

Getting back to the original question. I believe, Numbskull that you are Canadian. What documentation do you need to cross the border back into Canada?

To board the ship you will definitely need a photo ID and proof of citizenship. That would mean at least drivers license with photo and a valid/official birth certificate.

Because we are naturalized citizens, we have always used passports for ID. It is just so much easier for us. We are in the process of renewing our passports, $55 for another 10 years.

Jeff, it looks as if there are going to be changes to some of the requirements. We will be visiting Aruba in April and have been advised that Aruba will be requiring passports, but it is unclear if they will require them for cruise ship passengers. Barbados is also reconsidering their entry rquirements.

Dreamer, I wish I could keep my daily bar bill to less than the cost of a passport.

Again, the BEST thing to do is to get a Passport. In fact, I am really planning to do it, soon.

However, NumbSkull is only a week away, and we don't want any of our family to start having anxiety attacks. NS needs to know what the regulations are, now. I was merely trying to calm down an, already, nervous Crazie! The up-to-date info is at:

http://travel.state.gov/foreignentryreqs.html

As for the rest of us, we have time to get our Passports....