• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Rating Cruise Lines

Rate this topic

mahogg

For those who have cruised on multiple cruise lines, how would you compare? I'm particularly interested in Carnival vs. RC. My wife and I cruised on Carnival 6 months ago. We had a blast! The only drawback for us is that we are not big partiers. We don't drink. I would say 75% of the people on our ship were drunk 75% of the time, so that was a little annoying. I'm looking for a nice cruise that's less about partying and more about relaxing. Any suggestions?

We've never cruised Carnival, but have cruised RCI, Princess and NCL. Our favourite is RCI. Their ships are beautiful and we enjoy the atmosphere. We have never seen a lot of drunks, except in Cozumel and some of the other party places. During the evenings I don't think that we have ever seen anything that I would consider "drunken behavior". Princess is just like RCI, except their ships are not as attractive, IMNSHO. NCL, no comment.

Although I have sailed on most of the major crusie lines, several times, I am not comfortable "rating" the ships.

First of all, cruising is comprised of many different elements, all subject to your personal likes. Food, entertainment, decor, etc;

Second, these things not only vary from cruise line to cruise line, but from ship to ship, within a single line, and, even, from one voyage to another on the same ship...

That being said, I'll share my personal opinions, in 'generalities....'

Yes, Carnival is "the fun ship." The party atmosphere you experienced is normal, especially on the 3-4 night cruises and the 7-nite Western Caribbean. Although I haven't experienced the "75% drunk" rate you fif, fortunately, I haexperienced the fun. When I'm in that mood, I certainly take Carnival. In general: Food-OK, not great, but LOTS! Entertainment-Still very good, but used to be better... Ships-Toned-down gaudy, with nice-sized cabins; well laid-out.

The best food? Celebrity! I always gain weight on a Celebrity cruise. I'm still puzzled, since the food on Celebrity's parent company, Royal Caribbean, is terrible! Newer ships very nice; older ones a little tight, and no balconies. Entertainment is excellent. My favorite line.

Speaking of Royal Caribbean, I will say they have the nicest ships. While the cabins are a little tight, the layout and public areas are, probably, the best of any cruise line. Now, if they could only get the food right and brighten up the production shows... They used to do it right, and one of my most favorite cruises was on the "old" RCCL. Unfortunately, two of my least favorite were also on that line, more recently.

Princess is my second favorite, and is just a wee-bit lower on the food and entertainmant. However, the ships are nicer.

NCL used to be my favorite. I had two bad experiences after they were bought by Star, and instituted Freestyle.... I have heard they've improved and plan on giving them another try. They have the best Cruise Direstors, and CD Staff! They mingle with the guests and are friendly, helpful, etc;

Costa was my least favorite. The food was poor, the entertainment not entertaining and the ship, physically, poor.

Even if I am 61, HAL was "too old" for me! I spent the week being called, "Sonny," and never saw so many walkers, and oxygen tanks, outside Sunny Vallley Home.... Food was bland and the ship, just about, 'closed down' at midnight.

I have been on several different cruise lines. It all comes down to your own personal preference.

Princess happens to be my favorite cruise line. It is a good choice if you want a relaxing cruise in a very nice atmosphere.

Celebrity has some beautiful ships but were a bit to formal for me. Unlike most I did not find the food good on Celebrity but that is because of my food preference.

NCL we were on the Norway so I cannot really compare it to the regular cruise lines.

We enjoyed the fun of Carnival and did find a party crowd on one cruise with them that happened during a college spring break otherwise we found some very nice people that were just enjoying themselves.

I have not tried RCCL mainly because I have not read anything about them or seen any pictures of their ships that interest me personally. Someday I will try them but I am in no hurry but again it is because of my personal preference in what I have seen and read.

Welcome aboard, mahogg!!!

Of the lines that I have been on, I prefer Celebrity. I have been on the Infinity and the Zenith.(Zenith having been 11 years ago) The food, service, and entertainment is all good, and it's more of a relaxed atmosphere. It is a little dressier in the evenings, but I like that, since, we don't really go out much at home. I do have many more lines to try, though!

I have been on 4 Carnival cruises, 1 RCL cruise and 1 Princess cruise. The 4 Carnival cruises (3 old and 1 brand new ship) were fun. The RCL cruise (old ship) was wonderful. The Princess cruise (5 year old ship) was excellent. I will sail Carnival again, but only a new ship. I am sailing on RCL again soon on a voyager class ship because someone told me once that everyone should sail a voyager class ship at least once (son wants to sail this ship). Having said that, to date Princess was the best. Princess's slogan "Where I Belong" is true for me! I look forward to more Princess cruises! However, I also hope to sail Holland America and NCL one day.

>>I'm particularly interested in Carnival vs. RC.

We have sailed on 3 Carnival and 1 RCI ship. All were 7 days and were all good cruises. The Carnival cabins were a little larger and the food a little better. Actually in two cases the food was a lot better. We did not notice anyone drunk, including the Carnival Victory, which was a New Years cruise. All 4 cruises was what ever we wanted them to be--partying or relaxing. We would guess that the shorter cruises at certain times, like spring break, etc., would be a little more rowdy. We avoid those cruises. :cool: :cool:

alt text