• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Shore excursions

Rate this topic

nicu

This is my first cruise since 1978. I'm a nurse celebrating 50 yr birthday with a best friend (another nurse). We are going on the Splendor of the Seas on March 20th and will be going to Costa Maya and Cozumel.

Any and all info will be helpful to us newbies. ESPECIALLLY the shore excursions. It seems like a lot of money to go to a "private beach - Playa del Sol" in Cozumel. Does anyone recommend just winging on their own with a taxi. I speak a good amount of Spanish, so that is not an issue. Both my friend and I are pretty fit and can tolerate a lot of exercise, etc.

Also- off subject, but does anyone know about the Royal Carribean "drink cards" where you pay $45.00 for 10 drinks or something. Is this a bargain, or a rip-off?

Thanks all, for any help!!!!

Elaine

This is my first cruise since 1978. I'm a nurse celebrating 50 yr birthday with a best friend (another nurse). We are going on the Splendor of the Seas on March 20th and will be going to Costa Maya and Cozumel.

Any and all info will be helpful to us newbies. ESPECIALLLY the shore excursions. It seems like a lot of money to go to a "private beach - Playa del Sol" in Cozumel. Does anyone recommend just winging on their own with a taxi. I speak a good amount of Spanish, so that is not an issue. Both my friend and I are pretty fit and can tolerate a lot of exercise, etc.

Also- off subject, but does anyone know about the Royal Carribean "drink cards" where you pay $45.00 for 10 drinks or something. Is this a bargain, or a rip-off?

Thanks all, for any help!!!!

Elaine

Hi, nicu, and WELCOME to CrusieCrazies!

One of my favorite things to do, in Cozumel, is to visit Chankanaab Park. It's a ten-dollar taxi ride from the dock.

alt text

The park was completely rebuilt and restored in 1996. The main beach is studded with palapas for sunbathers, while just off shore there's outstanding diving and snorkeling. You can rent snorkel gear for $6.00, U.S. There are also a dive shop and water sport equipment rental, right on the beach. There is an Archaeological Park, complete with winding jungle trails, replicas from sites throughout Mexico, a typical Mayan village, and free guided tours. There's also an excellent Botanical Garden with over 300 plant species from 22 countries. Topping things off is the site's beautiful lagoon - a sinkhole filled from the sea by underground tunnels. You can view the tropical reef fish from a path, and overlooks. There are several shops, snack bars, a restaurant, and a Mayan Museum. Admission is $10 (US) and children are free. There is an optional Dolphin Encounter.

In town, don't miss Roberto's Black Coral Jewelry Factory. Roberto has some of the nicest black coral in the Caribbean, at VERY reasonable prices. It's on Avenido Cinco Norte, a few blocks from the Plaza del Sol. While you will see black coral sold all over town, Roberto's is generally considered the best quality. It's at the corner of Rosado Salas and Ave. 5 Sur. You can even watch as Roberto works on his latest creation.

Be very careful buying from some local vendors, and street vendors, as some of what is sold as inexpensive black coral will turn out to be very expensive black plastic

Hi, nicu, and WELCOME to CrusieCrazies!

One of my favorite things to do, in Cozumel, is to visit Chankanaab Park. It's a ten-dollar taxi ride from the dock.

alt text

The park was completely rebuilt and restored in 1996. The main beach is studded with palapas for sunbathers, while just off shore there's outstanding diving and snorkeling. You can rent snorkel gear for $6.00, U.S. There are also a dive shop and water sport equipment rental, right on the beach. There is an Archaeological Park, complete with winding jungle trails, replicas from sites throughout Mexico, a typical Mayan village, and free guided tours. There's also an excellent Botanical Garden with over 300 plant species from 22 countries. Topping things off is the site's beautiful lagoon - a sinkhole filled from the sea by underground tunnels. You can view the tropical reef fish from a path, and overlooks. There are several shops, snack bars, a restaurant, and a Mayan Museum. Admission is $10 (US) and children are free. There is an optional Dolphin Encounter.

In town, don't miss Roberto's Black Coral Jewelry Factory. Roberto has some of the nicest black coral in the Caribbean, at VERY reasonable prices. It's on Avenido Cinco Norte, a few blocks from the Plaza del Sol. While you will see black coral sold all over town, Roberto's is generally considered the best quality. It's at the corner of Rosado Salas and Ave. 5 Sur. You can even watch as Roberto works on his latest creation.

Be very careful buying from some local vendors, and street vendors, as some of what is sold as inexpensive black coral will turn out to be very expensive black plastic

Hi Nicu, Welcome aboard, I second DaCruzNuts recommendation that you just taxi it to Chankanaab Park. You will save alot of money on your own and the taxi drivers all know where it is! Use the extra dough you saved to indulge in an exspensive drink( you know the kind with an"umbrella" in it!) on the ship!

Shore excursions with the ship are always way more money, plus it's their timetable not yours, many worry about missing the ship if travelling on their own, but we never have, take your watch( make sure it's set on ship time!) and leave your self plenty of return time and you will be fine!

Enjoy!

Hi Nicu, Welcome aboard, I second DaCruzNuts recommendation that you just taxi it to Chankanaab Park. You will save alot of money on your own and the taxi drivers all know where it is! Use the extra dough you saved to indulge in an exspensive drink( you know the kind with an"umbrella" in it!) on the ship!

Shore excursions with the ship are always way more money, plus it's their timetable not yours, many worry about missing the ship if travelling on their own, but we never have, take your watch( make sure it's set on ship time!) and leave your self plenty of return time and you will be fine!

Enjoy!

If RCI is offering the Tulum trip on your cruise, I would recommend that. It's fairly expensive, but very well done and well organized.

I think that they have dropped the drink cards. On our last couple of cruises on RCI, last year, I don't think that they were available. Love the Splendour, sailed her twice.

If RCI is offering the Tulum trip on your cruise, I would recommend that. It's fairly expensive, but very well done and well organized.

I think that they have dropped the drink cards. On our last couple of cruises on RCI, last year, I don't think that they were available. Love the Splendour, sailed her twice.