• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

A SEA OF MEMORIES - Parts 1-6

Rate this topic

DaCruzNut

Well, I will cruise on March 20th from Galveston on a 5 day on the Splendour of the Seas..... so I'll write a trip report when I come back.

One of the things I am surprised to hear, is about the room service. There was no such thing back in '78. Now, if I understand correctly, at no cost other than tip you can order breakfast in your room..... wow.

For years I have gone to Las Vegas with fellow nurses at least once a year. However, you never get to unwind in LV and end up more frazzled and overstimulated by the time you get home. I think cruising will be the way to go unless I want to get in the car for a road trip. The last plane trip I had was a BIG gigantic mess. A "nut case" got on board and stabbed himself with a piece of metal he pulled off the arm rest by his seat. We all then sat on the tarmac for an hour, deplaned and then were shuffled off to another flight 8 hours later. Meanwhile our luggage went to parts unknown. Everyone was in a grumpy mood and had been sweating for our fun hour sitting on the tarmac. Then some really good odors prevailed when we eventually got on a plane again. No thank you. I am lucky enough to live by a port (in Houston) and apparently more ships may be taking up dock there.

I am really learning a lot reading everyones postings, thank you, thank you for a great site!!!!

Elaine

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I will cruise on March 20th from Galveston on a 5 day on the Splendour of the Seas..... so I'll write a trip report when I come back.

One of the things I am surprised to hear, is about the room service. There was no such thing back in '78. Now, if I understand correctly, at no cost other than tip you can order breakfast in your room..... wow.

For years I have gone to Las Vegas with fellow nurses at least once a year. However, you never get to unwind in LV and end up more frazzled and overstimulated by the time you get home. I think cruising will be the way to go unless I want to get in the car for a road trip. The last plane trip I had was a BIG gigantic mess. A "nut case" got on board and stabbed himself with a piece of metal he pulled off the arm rest by his seat. We all then sat on the tarmac for an hour, deplaned and then were shuffled off to another flight 8 hours later. Meanwhile our luggage went to parts unknown. Everyone was in a grumpy mood and had been sweating for our fun hour sitting on the tarmac. Then some really good odors prevailed when we eventually got on a plane again. No thank you. I am lucky enough to live by a port (in Houston) and apparently more ships may be taking up dock there.

I am really learning a lot reading everyones postings, thank you, thank you for a great site!!!!

Elaine

nicu-

Almost all ships offer Room Service, at no optional cost, 4-hours a day!

You'll find Breakfast door hangs, and a full Room Service menu, inyour cabin, when you embark.

The door hangs have little check boxes, and you can order anything from coffee and danish to a full breakfast. Cehck the time you want it deliviered, usually within a 15 minute framework.

The Room Service menus on the ships vary widely, but most offer a full fare of sandwiches, coffee, pastries, and, most, full dinners.

Hand the busboy a gratuity, and enjoy.

Ain't cruising grand!

nicu-

Almost all ships offer Room Service, at no optional cost, 4-hours a day!

You'll find Breakfast door hangs, and a full Room Service menu, inyour cabin, when you embark.

The door hangs have little check boxes, and you can order anything from coffee and danish to a full breakfast. Cehck the time you want it deliviered, usually within a 15 minute framework.

The Room Service menus on the ships vary widely, but most offer a full fare of sandwiches, coffee, pastries, and, most, full dinners.

Hand the busboy a gratuity, and enjoy.

Ain't cruising grand!

Thank you all, for posting these. I loved reading them. Jeff, you brought back wonderful memories of our first cruise- bic lighters and all. Nicu, I loved your story about the lady with Alzheimers who thought she was cruising. Alice, it must have been some experience at a young age to go onboard for a Bon Voyage party. With about 17 cruises under our belts, hubby and I have never used room service , although my daughter took it upon herself to do that a couple of times.

Thank you all, for posting these. I loved reading them. Jeff, you brought back wonderful memories of our first cruise- bic lighters and all. Nicu, I loved your story about the lady with Alzheimers who thought she was cruising. Alice, it must have been some experience at a young age to go onboard for a Bon Voyage party. With about 17 cruises under our belts, hubby and I have never used room service , although my daughter took it upon herself to do that a couple of times.