• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

More Nostalgia -- SS Rotterdam

Rate this topic

Lisa63

Alice's post on SS United States got me thinking about the time I boarded SS Rotterdam as a youngster for a bon voyage party.

It was in the early 1970s when I was about ten years old. My grandparents were leaving on a week-long cruise to Nassau and Freeport from New York. Back in those days, passengers could hold bon voyage parties in their cabins, or if they had the bucks, in a public lounge.

Being so young, I have vague recollections of that day, but a few things stand out in my mind. I remember their cabin vividly. It was an inside cabin, the beds were in an L-shape, and the decor was a calming, pastel blue. There must have been 40 people jammed in that little cabin for the BV party. I remember walking along the indoor promenade and thinking that it was the coolest thing. Perhaps that is one of the reasons I am drawn to such areas today. I also remember the open deck at the back of the ship. Maybe that's why I lament the loss of these areas to today's private balconies.

What I really wish I could recall were two classic features of the ship -- her grand staircase and the Ritz Carlton Lounge. I wonder if my visit took me to these places? I guess I'll never know.

One of the amazing things about SS Rotterdam was that she was modified very little during her 40 years. Minor changes had to be made to comply with SOLAS, but she was probably the best preserved 1950s ship in history.

Although my visit was for just a few hours and my first real cruise didn't take place until 15 years later, I was so taken by the ship's beauty that I consider her to be my first ship.

Grandma and Grandpa, who I loved dearly, have been gone for years. But among the items I inherited was their photo album from that trip. It's one of my most prized possessions.

Alice's post on SS United States got me thinking about the time I boarded SS Rotterdam as a youngster for a bon voyage party.

It was in the early 1970s when I was about ten years old. My grandparents were leaving on a week-long cruise to Nassau and Freeport from New York. Back in those days, passengers could hold bon voyage parties in their cabins, or if they had the bucks, in a public lounge.

Being so young, I have vague recollections of that day, but a few things stand out in my mind. I remember their cabin vividly. It was an inside cabin, the beds were in an L-shape, and the decor was a calming, pastel blue. There must have been 40 people jammed in that little cabin for the BV party. I remember walking along the indoor promenade and thinking that it was the coolest thing. Perhaps that is one of the reasons I am drawn to such areas today. I also remember the open deck at the back of the ship. Maybe that's why I lament the loss of these areas to today's private balconies.

What I really wish I could recall were two classic features of the ship -- her grand staircase and the Ritz Carlton Lounge. I wonder if my visit took me to these places? I guess I'll never know.

One of the amazing things about SS Rotterdam was that she was modified very little during her 40 years. Minor changes had to be made to comply with SOLAS, but she was probably the best preserved 1950s ship in history.

Although my visit was for just a few hours and my first real cruise didn't take place until 15 years later, I was so taken by the ship's beauty that I consider her to be my first ship.

Grandma and Grandpa, who I loved dearly, have been gone for years. But among the items I inherited was their photo album from that trip. It's one of my most prized possessions.