• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Snorkling Equipment

Rate this topic

I will be taking my daughter to the Bahamas as a College Graduation gift. Just the 3 nighter. Everyone says bring your own snorkling equipment because of cleanliness and hygiene. We will be snorkling only 1 day on Coco Cay. Is it realy worth getting your own snorkling equipment and how much does that cost?

I used snorkeling equipment from a tour one time and would never do that again due to the shape of the equipment I was given to use. Snorkeling equipment can be purchased fairly cheap A snorkeling mask, breathing tube and fins are much cheaper than a scuba mask and fins. You can find cheap snorkel equipment at Wal-Mart or those type stores that would be fine for a ships snorkeling tour. More elaborate and expensive snorkeling equipment would be sold at a dive shop that also sells scuba gear.

We bought our own gear years ago after renting some in Mexico! Recently we have only been taking our masks and tubes and inflatable vests with us and leaving the fins at home. If we really want fins we can rent them, but for little bit of paddling around we do really don't need them.

You really do not want to use someone else's breathing tube!! Costco and Sam's Club sell inexpensive masks and tubes and they are easy to pack.

25 sleeps and a wake up call and we are on our way to the Sun Princess.

Bored in a Chicago hotel room tonight!! :undecided:

I've rented with no problems. As long as they submerge the gear in disinfecting solution it is fine. I snorkel a lot, so, for me, it makes sense to purchase, which I did. The inexpensive fins and snorkel are fine, but ensure you get a good mask that fits well or it will either leak or leave rings on your face from being too tight. That is the most expensive part. $25-$75 for a decent one. Rent, for one timer. JMHO :smiley:

JohnG,

Question on snorkling is it true if you wear glasses. you can't snorkel? My best friend says the snorling in St Thomas is The best. But my husband and I both wear glasses and can't really see well enough without to enjoy. Have never been snorkling before but thought it would be fun. Help any info helpful. Thanks

I am an avid snorkeler (former diver...), and never take my own equipment, with the exception of my mask which is fitted with lenses to my prescription!

In all honesty, the snorkeling at CoCo Cay, and the other private islands, is less than optimal and not worth any large outlay.

Note DaCruzNut has a mask fitted with prescription glass. There are also masks which will accommodate eyeglasses....in dive shops. But for a 1 time use, not worth an expensive outlay. I use contacts and any mask works fine. Interestingly, I've noticed in our pool, that when I have no contacts in and no glasses on, the refraction in the water actually improves my vision.

Wal Mart has very good prices on their snorkling gear. When I first started snorkling on cruises, we'd go to the Wal-Mart and get the gear and throw 'em in the suitcase. Then it started to take up too much space, so I remember renting the equipment from the ship once or twice. I also remember renting right from the rental stand at Eden Rock in the Caymans.