• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Captain's Table

Rate this topic

Tamara

I prefer not to dine with the staff.

Before you jump all over me for being a snob, it's a quote from Lady Astor when she was asked if she would care to dine with the captain on a Transatlantic sailing.

We have cruised with RCI 15 times, we're Diamond C&A members and have dined with the captain only one time. It was a long time ago and we knew the Cruise Director from a previous cruise, and he set it up.

• 3 weeks later...

We have eaten at several captain's tables. Don't know why, but once I went to the social hostess and told her that I had met some people that seemed interesting and asked to be invited. We were. One of my new found friends trained bengal tigers. We put her to the right of the Captain, the position of honor.

I don't pursue this anymore, because my wife doesn't like all the attention. You know the photograper standing buy, the bar waiter standing there just waiting for you to ask for something. Makes her nervous.

Recently we had one of the ships officers come to our table. That was better. They buy the wine just as at the captain's table, and we didn't have to parade in and sit at the table with our named place settings.

For those of you that haven't been invited and want to get a group of four and go and meet the social hostess and visit and even mention you would like to. My only reason is that they buy the wine.

The social hostess is expected to get some people on the ship to eat with the captain. It makes her job easier if she sees you together mixing. Of course they always separate you at the table so you converse with other people rather than your close friends. If she doesn't find anyone that she thinks is a better at conversing than you, you will probably get invited. Be sure and go if you are invited, and be at the meeting place on time so as not to embarrass the social hostess.

When I first got invited to the captain's table, it was because I had met the captain on another cruise when he was a passenger. It was a round table and he put my wife at his right. I was at the other end of the table. HA!! Have never beens seated since separated from my wife, but it didn't make that much difference to me that time.

Fun Times.