• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Is sun worshipping for you when cruising?

Rate this topic

or do you look to sit in the shade? I'm just wondering because I used to love to bake in the sun but now that 50 is behind me, I only sit in the shade. I used to think, and still do , that a tan makes me look better. I guess now I'm more concerned with getting wrinkles and skin cancer than I am with gettting a tan. How do you feel about it???

I never was one to sit in the sun, because it always made me sick. A little sun is fine but just baking no way, plus I burn super easy ( I have a very fair complexion for a brunette. So the shade is great. Also waited until last year to invest in prescription sunglasses, so sunbathing meant no reading or people watching. Now I can do both from behind my shades.LOL :grin:

I found a funny little secret. After having been diagnosed with actinic keratoses all over my face and having them removed, I decided to not do much direct sunbathing again, and was going to Hawaii that year. I only sat under an umbrella and used a lot of sunblock. I got an even more glorious tan that way!

It is very important to use a sunblock that contains zinc (the best), titanium dioxide, or avobenzene (Parsol), which block UVA radiation. Be careful out there in the sun! It's important to apply sunscreen to your face everyday, not just in sunbathing situations!

Love, Elena :cool:

I used to suntan a lot, all day at the beach in summer and on tropical vacations. My goal was always to get as dark as possible. This was back in the 70's and 80's. I thought sunscreen was for wimps, straight coconut oil for me, thanks. I'm 45 now, and though my skin is decent, I think it might have been better if I hadn't spent all that time worshipping the sun. Now, when I see someone with a really dark tan, it looks odd, because people don't seem to be seeking that look as much as they used to. I get some sun these days from walking around or working in the garden, but I don't sit out and bake like I used to. It costs too much for anti-wrinkle creams to try to undo what I did!

I have naturally tanned skin, so ususally all I have to do to get some color is to simply be outside in the sun for a while, not just laying by the pool. Though I do end up doing this a lot on cruises, listening to the rhythm of the steel drum band on the pool deck.

I've always spent the days of the cruises I've been on primarily outdoors on the upper decks, soaking up the ocean view and total cruise environment.