• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

tips to remember the places you have been

Rate this topic

johned

I have got a job starting on a cruise ship in august and was thinking of buying something such as a t-sirt or mug from every country i have been to to say i have been here. Does anybody else do this and has anybody got any ideas on what i should collect. Obviously it will have to be something small like a mug but im not sure on what i should collect and was hoping you guys could throw up a few ideas thanks

john

Welcome aboard, johned, and congratulations on your job!

I collect shot glasses from our states here and from other countries that I have been to. I ordered a wooden shelf with sections in it from a mail-order catalouge to keep and show the shot glasses. They are small and don't take up much room in the suitcase.

Don't know where you would keep them on the ship, though. If you could find a space where they wouldn't break, they would probably be small enough and not take up a lot of room.

johned, Welcome to our CruiseCrazies family. We're glad to have you aboard.alt text

How about key chains? They take up very little space and you could hang them on something like a tie rack that has the little wooden pegs sticking out. I also like the idea of pins because you can stick them on a jacket or hat , as sailingrose said. :cool:

I buy little pieces of art that reflect the place I've been. Tiny paintings, sculptures, photo prints, etc. That way, reminders of my travels are always around my home. They don't have to be expensive, as there are local "starving artists" all over the world. I stay away from the real touristy stuff sold on beaches, etc. I do have an extensive magnet collection though, covering the entire front door of the fridge. I'm soon going to have to buy one of those double door types so I have more space. My friends that travel always buy me the tackiest magnet they can find.

I also collect shot glasses, and have them displayed on a wooden shelf on my wall unit.

Depending on the ship you are going to be working on, you may or may not have a lot of places you go to over the course of your contract. I mean, work on the Caribbean Princess or Carnival Destiny and you won't be any place new after your first 2 weeks. If you know what kind of itineraries you will be doing, that might help you plan ahead what kind of momentos to collect.