• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Considering a Mexico cruise

Rate this topic

Lisa63

I'm looking for thoughts from those who have taken a west coast Mexican cruise -- specifically, LA to Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, and Cabo San Lucas. We'd like to try a new itinerary and a new line (Princess), however the long plane ride isn't too appealing. Then again, I'd love to combine this with a night onboard the original Queen Mary...

There are also three sea days -- but what do you all think of the ports?

Any comments greatlly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

The Mexican Riviera is completely different to the Caribbean. The water is generally colder and the beaches, while very attractive, are brown sand rather than the white.

The atmosphere is also very different. I'll probably get into trouble for this, but I think that it is more cultural and historic.

Mazatlan is a great city, split into two, the old city and the Golden Zone. Lots to see and a beautiful cathedral and Zocolo.

Puerto Vallarta is a great place to walk around. Take a taxi to the edge of town and walk along the promenade, Pacific Ocean on one side and all the shopping you could desire on the other. Further out of town is Gringo Gulch and Mismaloya, Night of the Iguana Restaurant and our favourite place, Boca de Tomatlan. You can go inland into the jungle and visit El Eden, where Predator was filmed.

Sailing into Cabo is for me a beautiful site. It's a marvellous bay and sailing past Los Arcos is just delightful. Cabo is totally different to the Mexican mainland. It is dry and arid and if you think that Hawaii is laid back, it's like NYC compared to Cabo. One other thing, the people are awesome.

By the way, I like Mexico.

Hi Lisa...my honeymoon cruise was to the Mexican Riviera. It was 20 years ago, but I really enjoyed it. I loved Puerto Vallarta. Loved the cobblestone street along the promenade by the ocean. We didn't stop at Cabo, but we did at Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta, and Acapulco and Zihuatineo/Ixtapa and Manzanillo(sp). It was a great change from a carribean cruise, and there was lots to do and see.

I think you will find it really interesting. It was pretty hot when we were there(end of April into May)but, some people say it's chilly then. We were on the Queen Mary for lunch, and it is awsome. We didn't stay overnight, though. I think they were just starting that back then.

We did our Mexican Riviera cruise as a group--and had a great time. It was our first trip to LA and California. We came in a couple days early and stayed over an extra day. We do not fly well and did not like the long flights, but we are glad for the experience. Sometimes you have to take a little bad to get some good. As others have said, the ports are great--they help make the long trip worthwhile. The only negative in the ports are the pushy vendors, especially in Cabo.

Knowing how you like Ocean Liners, the night onboard the Queen Mary will just make your trip even more enjoyable. We would say--go for it! :cool: :cool:

I think it would be a lot of fun to sail on a "Love Boat (Princess)," doing the original "Love Boat" itinerary! The show was on long before my first cruise, and I remember how exotic, and exciting, those ports sounded...

alt text

Lisa I'm giving it a try in September. First time for me. Only down side I can see is flying across the country. I'm not much of a flier. The real up side is I'm trying a new cruise line and I'm going to ports I haven't been to before. Give it a shot......

Well, I live here on the west coast, and would gladly fly east any day for the Islands that way, don't know that I'd do the reverse. I think the water around the Bahamas, etc. is prettier. Now I would do the flight from the east coast for a cruise around the Hawaiian Islands any day! JMHO.

Love, Elena :smiley:

Thank you all! We're booked!

We'll be on Diamond Princess in February. This will mark three "firsts" for us -- first time on Princess, first west coast cruise, and first balcony. :smiley:

Congrats, I think that you'll love it. In February the weather should be great. LA will be cool, the first day at sea should be really good, but on the return trip the last day at sea will probably be quite cool. We have always experienced a high wind across the deck sailing north and cool temps.

I don't know when you visited Cabo last, but we were there in April and have been several times before and never experienced any pushy vendors. Same in Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo and Huatulco. The only place on the Mexican Riviera that we have ever met pushy vendors is Acapulco, and they are really pushy, to the point of being obnoxious.

As for the Queen Mary, it would be a great start to your cruise. Our youngest daughter was married on the Queen Mary and it was quite a neat experience.