• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Supper sitting times...first or second?

Rate this topic

Iggy

Since this will be my first time sailing, I asked around for what would be the best for supper times. Most of my freinds and family that have been on a cruise agreed that the first sitting would be the best. But this past weekend I spent some time with an old friend and he insisted that I change our seating to the second. When you think about it, it does make some sense. If you go ashore on excursions, most of them last up to 5 or 6 PM. If we were to take advantage of the excusions and have a first sitting then we would have to hurry back to the ship for our eating arrangements and possiblly miss out on a lot of things. Comment please :huh:

Thanks for the fast response. Since you guys are regular cruisers, is my friend right in that it would be more advantageous fo us to take the second seating so we could enjoy the excusions. And a second question, would it be possible to change the seating before we sail.

In our opinion second setting is better when we are taking shore excursions that end late in the afternoon. If you are back on the ship by 4:00 P.M. or earlier, however, first seating would still be okay. We were assigned first seating once on a cruise we booked rather late, and we did feel like we were rushing around to much. As far as getting the time switched we tried, to no avail. Two large groups had late seating tied up. We figured we would wait until we got aboard to switch, which did not work out on this HAL cruise. Based on that we would advise trying to make the switch before hand. We just went with the flow and did not let it upset us--and we had a great cruise.

We always do second seating. We feel that it works better as far as excursions go. Also, back when there were actually midnight buffets, it kept us from eating there because we were never hungry. The late seating is quieter and less rushed. Enjoy your cruise.

As for changing your time, ask your TA to call the cruise company as soon as possible to change it. If they tell you that isn't possible at that time, the day you sail you can see the Maitre'D and probably will have no problem changing.

Howard

I've always favored the Late Seating, for a number of reasons.

As you point out, you may want to stay ashore, in a particular port, a little longer. After all, you're only docked there for a few hours, anyway. Getting back to the ship and then rushing to get ready for dinner does not add to a relaxing cruise. And, if you get back to the ship 'early,' you can grab a quick nap. Now, up 'til 2;)) am is no problem

Many ships still have assigned times for breakfast, while some have "open seating." On the ones with the assigned times, I don't really want breakfast at 6:30, or 7:00, in the morning. I'm still asleep at that time. This is really important on the final morning, prior to debarkation. I really appreciate the extra hour's sleep the Late Seating gives me, and the hour less waiting time for Customs to clear the ship.

alt text

Finally, a little extra. Most families with children go to the Main Seating. therefore, less, or no, kids in the dining room at the Late Seating....

We also like the late seating for all of the reasons stated above. We don't like to lose time in port to hurry back to shower and change for dinner. I also enjoy the sailaway parties when we leave port, and you would miss them.

Also, if you like to have a cocktail before dinner, you have plenty of time on the late sitting. I really don't like eating dinner so late, but it works out much better on a cruise for us. I'm with Jeff about eating so early in the morning. I'm not into eating breakfast at 7:30 in the morning...too early for me!

I agree, that if you want to change to late sitting to ask your TA and if he/she says you can't to check with the maitre d' as soon as you board the ship. Sometimes a little tip will help if he is not sure if he can help you! :grin:

For years we have been eating at home between 7 and 8pm because my wife doesn't get home from work until about 6:40. So late seating is little change for us. On port days, we go ashore later, about 11, and stay as late as we can. Then there is plenty of time to shower, dress for the evening and have a cocktail before dinner. Even when we take our teens we eat at late seating. If they get hungry before then, just as at home, there is plenty to eat.....pizza, room service, etc. Fortunately, we have never had a problem getting late seating on any cruiseline.

Interesting. We've gotten greatly different advice on a couple of other message boards, but perhaps that's because of our specific itinerary: We're never in port beyond 5PM any night, and some nights the ship casts off at 4PM. Given that we're typically asleep by 9PM Eastern Time, starting dinner at 8PM Atlantic Time seemed at bit uncomfortable for us, and a lot of folks (about half) confirmed that they preferred the earlier seating for a variety of reasons.

You know, it really comes down to your personal preference. We have done both seatings many, many times (41 cruises to date) and we kind of switch back and forth, lately we have been doing late seating and for quite awhile we did early seating.

If we were cruising to an area where we have never been we would want to maximize our port time and want some time to rest on reboarding. Otherwise we would probably go with early seating. And writing all this reminds me that I have no clue which we selected on our September cruise! Guess I'd better check that out.

No matter what you decide on you are going to have an unforgetable experience on your first cruise. We still remember ours quite well. BTW, begin a "Cruise Log" on this cruise and add to it on each future cruise. It is great fun to go back and looks through it as you plan your next sailing. :wink: