• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

new technology bringing cell phones aboard ships?

Rate this topic

Jason

I hate them! Ringing in church, people talking louder because they are using a cell phone, etc. I don't care about their personal business but I have no choice because you cannot NOT hear the conversation. And don't get me started about drivers and cell phones. They never use turn signals because the hand that operates turn signals is glued to their ear on a phone. Please don't enable them to be used onboard a cruise!

I agree with JohnG. There is a time and place for them. On a cruise for emergency use maybe, but just to talk, NO WAY.that is the reason to vacation, cruise or otherwise to get a way from it all and relax away from all that stuff. Drivers and cell phones I could write a book But I will spare you all the pain.A cruise only lasts a week to 10 days in most cases, if you can't forget about the world for that long , How are you going to enjoy yourself? I just recently became an owner of a cell phone. ( against my will I might add) But my kids kind of forced me into it, because when my hubby and I are out biking we totally forget time. We were worrying the kids by being out so long. They got me the phone and now I check in a couple times a day. All are happy. By the way after I make my call I turn the thing off because I don't want to be reached. :grin:

As long as I don't hear a constant cacaphony of those stupid ringtones all day, I don't really care that much whether people talk on cell phones. It would just be nice if people didn't TALK SO LOUD THAT THEY CAN BE HEARD ON SHORE WITHOUT THE CELL PHONE. Really, if someone is talking in a normal conversational voice on a phone, than you are actually hearing half the talk as when 2 people are talking at the next table.

I agree. Cell phones need be no more annoying than people talking loudly (which I feel is a much more common nuisance). Everyone would prefer to not be disturbed by others, whether it be talking to another person or talking into a cell phone, but within reason we need to just recognize it as part of being in a place with other people.

My, my, my...how things have changed!

When I began cruising, only a short 15 years ago, one of the big advantages of taking a cruise vacation was the fact that you could really "get away from it all."

Most ships did not have televisions in the cabins, and those that did could only offer taped shows they brought on board. They showed movies, "classic" sitcoms and ship oriented tapes. This was, of course, pre-satellite.

There was no "Times Fax," or other newspaper available, and, for a week, you had no idea of what was happeneing in the world. It was difficult, at best, even finding a USA Today in the ports.

The telephone in your cabin connected to the Purser's Desk, the "Hospital" and Room Service. If you needed to make a call shoreside, you went to the Radio Room, which was only open a few hours a day, and paid an outrageous amount for a three-minute call.

Your ship was its own tiny little island, sailing around the Caribbean, completely cut off from the rest of the world.

Nowadays, satellites bring us CNN, and all the latest news and cabin telephones connect everywhere. Most ships even have an internet room, where you can check in at work, check your e-mail, and do whatever..

As for me, I do not watch the news, or read the Times Fax, when I'm on a cruise. I do not take my cel phone, or call shore. I have never used the Internet Room on a ship.

I still cherish the "old ways" and feel that I take a cruise to get away, not stay in touch....

I have a hard time leaving my patients for a week or more, and it would be great to be able to check in via my voice mail so I'm all for it. And anyway, if you hate the idea or just want to not be bothered on your cell phone while on a cruise, don't even bring it with you.

This is one of those topics that always amaze me. Not that this has degenerated into anything, but the many times I've seen this discussed over on critic, it always does (not that topics degenerating into attacks is new there LOL).

The idea that people staying in touch can't possibly be enjoying themselves. That the only way to be having fun is to not have a clue what's happenning anywhere in the world. "My god. Look at that guy sitting there with a drink by his side, and his laptop out. Why can't he forget about work and have fun?" What other way to enjoy work, I say? LOL If he is even working. Maybe he's typing out his next CruiseCrazies review as it happens, so as not to forget anything LOL

"No way do I go online from the ship. I go on a cruise to get away from everything" This same person 4 months previous: "Hey, so and so, thanks for coming online from the ship and telling us how much you are enjoying yourself. Glad you are having a good time". For me, the internet is part of my recreation activities (as is singing and golfing). I sing on ships, and someday, I'm going to golf at one of those fine Caribbean golf courses. So, what's wrong with sharing with my so-called board family who don't happen to be lucky enough that particular week to be on a cruise?

Other than what I mentioned above about people who talk really loud into cell phones (which happens everywhere), I couldn't care less if somebody is calling home to check on relatives, or negotiating the merger of Coors and Molson.

Jeff, tell me you would refuse if Verizon asked you to be the "can you hear me now" guy on a ship? LOL

As soon as we board, we pack away our cell phone. However, it has come in handy. About six cruises ago we were delayed for many hours because of fog in Tampa Bay. Ship finally docked at abour 4 PM.

Phone allowed us to change our flight to the next day and to book a hotel room for the night. Also, on another cruise it allowed our Realtor to reach us in Nassau to advise us we had an offer on the sale of our home and by the time we got home we had a deal signed sealed and delivered.

So I think there are some valid justifications to have a cell phone aboard, but not to sit on deck and engage in idle chatter which many seem to do. :cool: