• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

new technology bringing cell phones aboard ships?

Rate this topic

Jason

This is one of those topics that always amaze me. Not that this has degenerated into anything, but the many times I've seen this discussed over on critic, it always does (not that topics degenerating into attacks is new there LOL).

Dan-

No, I would not agree to be the "Verizon, can you hear me?"guy....

As for the rest, I will refrain from a reply, since I do not want to have this board turn into CC! I will only say that my post reflects my opinion. I'm sorry you have a problem with that!

Jeff, the only part of my post directed at you was where your name was mentioned. The last line.

The rest was a comment on the many times I've read this topic discussed where people say that their version of fun is the only way. It's not for anyone else to say if someone who sits there with a cell phone and chats away, or types away on a laptop, or goes to the internet cafe is missing out on the point of a cruise (i.e. not having fun). Frankly, it's nobody's damn business what other people choose to do for their vacation (or even if it's a working vacation)

Maybe it's not the way things were done way back in the golden era when the Carnival Fantasy was new, but then neither were balconies on 70% of the cabins, and that's sort of taken off now. Just because one doesn't want to partake of such things doesn't mean it's bad for somebody else to want to, is all I'm saying.

That is an interesting perspective, that folks could be working during the cruise, for inspiration! We always joke about it, because we've read that the best-and-brightest in our industry often are most creative in leisurely surroundings. Why not spend a work-week at sea? (Totally aside from vacations, of course.)

I just got back from a week at Franconia Notch NH. I suppose I could have stood back and wondered why anyone would vacation there and NOT climb the mountains. I mean, "Duh!" :grin: Yet lots of folks were "just fishing". Like they needed to fish in the best hiking area in the Northeast? The fact is there was nothing wrong with them fishing. It didn't prevent us from hiking, even though we would have preferred meeting new people and having them on the trail with us.

Several years ago we visited Egypt. We went there to marvel at the architecture and wonder about that ancient culture. We also enjoyed the cuisine, but many members of our tour group preferred steak and continental dishes. Some people took in some of the modern Egyptian culture, but most didn't. One guy was working, specially there to take photographs of ancient carvings for his work. Is there some reason why his work was more acceptable, since he used a camera? :huh:

We all vacation for different reasons. What makes the choices legitimate or not is simply a matter of whether the choice is legal and compatible with the contract with the cruise line/tour operator/resort. What each of us do with the service as offered is up to us.

Bicker & Dan: Well said! I agree with both of you and also with Jeff. I, for one, wish to do nothing more than just totally relax on the ship but my husband owns his own company and is the sole employee, and in order to get him on a cruise ship (or any other type of vacation), he must have a phone. Most of his customers do not have email. However, when he rented the satellite phone this last trip, he only used it on the balcony every morning to check messages and only once did he need to contact a customer who had an emergency situation. Again, he only used it on the balcony.

I really hate the sound of the cell phones but as long as it doesn't become annoying (at dinner, during a show, talking too loudly etc), I think we'll have to put up with them as they have become a way of life for alot of people.