• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

What did you buy in the ports

Rate this topic

GottaCruz

Hmmm.... we didn't have any ports last time as we went directly from Southampton to NYC. But I did buy some wonderful tea in London. This year, I hope to pick up some artwork in Quebec City.

We bought a Totem Pole in Ketchikan, Alaska. It's about 16 inches tall, and is beautiful. Of course, my wife also bought some jewelery in Skagway. :undecided:

Howard

In Labadee I bought a plaque for the wall (I collect things to hang on the wall in our front room, fills in lots of space with those vaulted walls), in Cozumel a silver butterfly, and in Jamaica coffee and coffee liquer! Yummy!

Mostly just bring back something for the wall and refrigerator magnets.

We just bought the usual things, like, t-shirts, caps with the ship's name on it, shot glasses, and little trinkets for the grandkids.

In Costa Rica, I bought a pretty hand made cross, and in Acapulco my DH bought me a pretty pair of dangly gold earrings. In San Diego, I bought a windbreaker jacket since I was a bit chilly at night.

• 5 years later...

How to Buy Port Wine

The most common type of port wine is a sweet, dark red dessert wine. There are also tawny and white varieties. Authentic port wine is made in the Douro Valley of Portugal. Expensive port wine usually can't be found in grocery stores.

Instructions

Step 1

Research different types of port wine and price ranges before purchasing. Look in your telephone directory for wine stores and merchants to call for information, or find the info you need online.

Step 2

Go to your local liquor store, wine store or wine merchant, or buy your port wine online. A good wine shop or merchant will let you taste the wine before you buy.

Step 3

Learn how to store your port wine before you purchase it. Older wines need to be consumed right away or their taste will go bad. The younger and less expensive wines will keep for up to a month.

Step 4

Decant your port wine into a decanter before drinking it. Let it stand for 24 hours before decanting to allow the sediment to settle to the bottom. Look through the neck of the bottle as you pour it in one motion to make sure no sediment escapes into the decanter.

Step 5

Know how to serve port wine. It should be served in port wine glasses which are smaller than regular wine glasses. The host should serve the person on his right before passing the bottle to his left. Each person should serve the person to their right and pass the bottle to their left until it is returned to the host.