• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Tipping Poll

Rate this topic

KeithnRita

The cruise I went on many years ago required tipping at the end and the cruise last May had auto tipping and I prefer that. I gave extra to folks that were really good to me and knew that the rest were taken care of. I liked not having to calculate everything. I wouldn't like to see it added to the fare as you wouldn't know if you were getting a good deal or not. The fares are complicated enouigh.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The cruise I went on many years ago required tipping at the end and the cruise last May had auto tipping and I prefer that. I gave extra to folks that were really good to me and knew that the rest were taken care of. I liked not having to calculate everything. I wouldn't like to see it added to the fare as you wouldn't know if you were getting a good deal or not. The fares are complicated enouigh.

• 1 year later...

I must say it would be my preference to include it in the fare..my only concern with doing that is the staff tend to relax on the service end thus negating the reason to include tip in fare.

We always do the envelope ritual..something to be said for tradition I guess..

I didn't vote, because the most convenient tipping I've had--choice 3, included in the (Radisson) fare-- won't work on most cruise lines. Lines other than the high end lines compete very sharply on fares, and a line that included tipping in the fares would have an advertising disadvantage--the fares simply wouldn't be as low as their competitors' fares.

There's no question as to what was the worst choice: the old HAL method, where there were no tipping guidelines. Automatic tipping works only if, as is the case on Celebrity, one is given vouchers to hand to the staff. We normally give much more than the minimum anyway. Joe

My vote is for handing out the tips to those who served us. I have heard that the auto tips are put into a pool and then distributed. I had the auto tip taken off of our bill on Princess last cruise and then handed the tip to each person on the last day. I was told that they tell the servers and stewards if a person takes the tip off the bill. Maybe it encouraged them to do a good job because it seemed that our cabin steward went out of his way to be nice to us. He was the best steward we have ever had.

One misconception many people have is that by removing the auto-tip, and handing the money over, that the crew member gets to keep it all. They still have to pool it whether they get it in cash directly, or through the auto-tip process, and risk immediate termination if they don't pool it. It's only fair, since there are more than 4 people on the crew who had a part in your good service.

My preference would be to just have it included in the fare, but we know that's not going to fly, so I like the auto-tip. I don't buy into the theory of that "personal connection", of handing the cash over in person. The crew member wants the cash, and doesn't really care how they get it. And they also think of it as an insult if you tip partially in advance, as if they wouldn't do their job in case you were going to stiff them.

:cool: I prefer the auto-tipping method. I also give some extra money att he end of the cruise to those I feel have gone aboveboard. The point about service slacking is a potential probelm but overall the service has been acceptable. I think that if it weren't for some skipping out on the last night and thus avoiding tipping to those who have worked so hard for it there may not be auto-tipping. Also and as has been mentioned its so convienent too. :cool: