• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Passport question

Rate this topic

gogetter

Hello,

I understand that if you HAVE to have one to travel ok. BUT, i don't buy the logic that it is any better or safer or easier than a birth certificate, limited to the cruise world. I guess....

I spoke with a coworker the other day who said he had just gotten his passport. He said he ha to send away to his birth state for a new B/C, because they will not accept any pre 1985 B/C's for passports.

Could this be true? I did not know if he was maybe pulling my leg, but i totally believe my fellow cruisers!!!!!!!

Thanks all..................... :grin:

Hello,

I understand that if you HAVE to have one to travel ok. BUT, i don't buy the logic that it is any better or safer or easier than a birth certificate, limited to the cruise world. I guess....

I spoke with a coworker the other day who said he had just gotten his passport. He said he ha to send away to his birth state for a new B/C, because they will not accept any pre 1985 B/C's for passports.

Could this be true? I did not know if he was maybe pulling my leg, but i totally believe my fellow cruisers!!!!!!!

Thanks all..................... :grin:

You don't have to have a passport in North America. It is just recommended, as easier to use and more durable than the paper birth ceritificate.

Our agency's standard wording to passengers:

PROOF OF CITIZENSHIP REQUIRED TO BOARD YOUR CRUISE:

All passengers are required to carry valid Proof of US or Canadian Citizenship. If traveling to the Bahamas, Bermuda, Caribbean, Mexico, or Alaska, US or Canadian Citizens can present a valid passport, Certified Copy of their birth certificate with Raised Seal and a Picture ID. Due to enhanced security precautions each passenger 16 years or older is also required to have a valid photo ID. If traveling internationally or to Fanning Island via Hawaii, US or Canadian Citizens must have a valid passport. Some countries may require a VISA for entry.

Resident Aliens who are permanent residents of the US must have a valid passport and Alien Registration Card (Form-1551). In some instances, you may be required to have sailing permits and / or visas to enter some countries. Permanent Residents of Canada must present their Permanent Resident Card and current passport from the country of origin.

Foreign Passengers must have a valid passport and multiple entry visa for the United States (B-2 Visitor's Visa) or Canada. For more information, please check with your consulate.

All documentation including valid passports, birth certificates, visas, etc are the sole responsibility of the passenger. You will be denied boarding for bringing improper documentation.

You don't have to have a passport in North America. It is just recommended, as easier to use and more durable than the paper birth ceritificate.

Our agency's standard wording to passengers:

PROOF OF CITIZENSHIP REQUIRED TO BOARD YOUR CRUISE:

All passengers are required to carry valid Proof of US or Canadian Citizenship. If traveling to the Bahamas, Bermuda, Caribbean, Mexico, or Alaska, US or Canadian Citizens can present a valid passport, Certified Copy of their birth certificate with Raised Seal and a Picture ID. Due to enhanced security precautions each passenger 16 years or older is also required to have a valid photo ID. If traveling internationally or to Fanning Island via Hawaii, US or Canadian Citizens must have a valid passport. Some countries may require a VISA for entry.

Resident Aliens who are permanent residents of the US must have a valid passport and Alien Registration Card (Form-1551). In some instances, you may be required to have sailing permits and / or visas to enter some countries. Permanent Residents of Canada must present their Permanent Resident Card and current passport from the country of origin.

Foreign Passengers must have a valid passport and multiple entry visa for the United States (B-2 Visitor's Visa) or Canada. For more information, please check with your consulate.

All documentation including valid passports, birth certificates, visas, etc are the sole responsibility of the passenger. You will be denied boarding for bringing improper documentation.

I was born in 1950, and just got my passport this past May. We had no problems at all getting it. You're right that it isn't much easier with a passport, but it is a little easier. Besides, if you decide to take a trip somewhere that you do need it, you'll have it.

Hoiward

I was born in 1950, and just got my passport this past May. We had no problems at all getting it. You're right that it isn't much easier with a passport, but it is a little easier. Besides, if you decide to take a trip somewhere that you do need it, you'll have it.

Hoiward

I think a passport is much easier if you were born outside of the US. or Canada. My dh was born in Scotland, and, though he got his citizenship when he was about four years old - a birth certificate and proof of citizenship is required to cross into the U.S. His citizenship papers say he is about four foot tall with black hair - now that he's in his fifties that's changed just a little bit lol. So we got passports and it is much easier as we cross the border nearly every week. They are accepted world wide and fairly easy to get and not cost prohibitive so why not get one? Just in case you want to fly off to Paris for the weekend or go on an African Safari on the spur of the moment lol. TTFN Jennifer

I think a passport is much easier if you were born outside of the US. or Canada. My dh was born in Scotland, and, though he got his citizenship when he was about four years old - a birth certificate and proof of citizenship is required to cross into the U.S. His citizenship papers say he is about four foot tall with black hair - now that he's in his fifties that's changed just a little bit lol. So we got passports and it is much easier as we cross the border nearly every week. They are accepted world wide and fairly easy to get and not cost prohibitive so why not get one? Just in case you want to fly off to Paris for the weekend or go on an African Safari on the spur of the moment lol. TTFN Jennifer