• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Carnival or Royal Caribbean

Rate this topic

siki00

Hello...I have decided to take a western caribbean cruise in April or May. My husband and I like travel during off-season while the kids are still in school. My next step is to choose a cruise line. I have narrowed it down to Carnival & Royal Caribbean. We are in our early 30s. Any suggestions or tips?

Thank you! :smiley:

I'm going to get a bit of flack, on this, but here's my opinion...

alt text

I have sailed on most of the "popular" lines, several times each, including Carnival and Royal Caribbean. My favorites are Celebrity and Princess, but Carnival is my #3.

After 3 sailings on Royal Caribbean, I have vowed that there won't be a 4th! their ships are fantastic, best at sea! that being said, I find their food to be at the lowest end of the cruise scale. Unless you want to pay for your family to eat in an alternative restaurant, don't expect much. Likewise, I find their "production shows" to be lacking.

Worst of all, I found the crew to be uncaring. The Cabin Attendants I've had did a mediocre job; the dining room service was slow and not-too-friendly; etc;

Carnival has, surprisingly, upgraded their food, over the years, and it is very good. OK, it's not Celebrity or Princess food, but it's better than many.

They've got the best big shows at sea, and the service is very good.

Most important, they have been able to lose the "Animal House" image, and cater more to the family-up-to-seniors group, with the emphasis on the 30's.

their cruises are, as advertised, "fun!" And, the Western Caribbean is the "most fun" itinerrary, and my favorite!

Hi siki00,

DaCruzNut has a lot of experience with cruising. I'm inclined to listen to him.

I've never been on Royal Caribbean so I can't comment on that, but I have been on four Carnival Cruises and I have never been disappointed in the service.

The entertainment on Carnival was always a matter of taste.

There are loads of activities on the ship.

I always thoroughly enjoyed myself on Carnival. The Conquest and Fascination are both very nice ships. The Conquest sails out of New Orleans and the Fascination out of Miami. Check out the itineraries on Carnival's web site or with your TA.

I will eventually branch out to see what some of the other lines, unrelated to Carnival, are like. I would like to be truely informed when I make comparisons.

Good luck with your choice.

After having my 1st cruise on RCCL a few weeks ago and doing 5 others on all Carnival Ships it is our desire to go back to Carnival. Depending on your preference is the only true way of taking a chance on what might be best for you. I felt as tho the RCCL was a tad bit on the older side and more family orientated. I definately would NOT go on a cruise with them if I didnt have my children with me. We went 2 weeks before spring break and every day I saw at least 15 children in each of the hot tubs all the time. They did however have an "adult pool and hot tub"...always full tho. One of the camp conselors told us they expect anywhere from 800-1000 children on spring break cruises. WOW! We missed the lil shows/performances by the waiters when they serve you. They didnt do any of those on the VOS cruise we were on and we enjoyed them on all the Carnival cruises. All in all..........back to Carnival we go after all thats why they are called the "fun ships".....