• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Shopping in Cayman

Rate this topic

2toddlers

The LAST place in the Caribbean that I would shop is the Cayman Islands.

First of all, I have found prices there to be ridiculously inflated. Black Coral jewelry in the Caymans is about two-to-three times higher than similar pieces in Cozumel.

Jewelry & liquor are 20-30% higher than most other ports. In fact, not much less, if at all, than back here in The States!

My advice: Pick up a Tortuga Rum Cake and head back to the ship!

Cayman is MUCH CHEAPER for things like Watches, Cameras and even liquor if you buy it at the duty free stores on the way out. NOT in the retail stores. If that link was for the I don't know why in the world they would have removed it. They have coupons that you can print out online and use when you are there to increase your savings. I would think that would be a huge help to anyone visiting this board. :wink:

It is obvious that these "strangers" have come aboard simply to tout shopping in Grand Cayman....judging by the fact that these are their first posts...

It is really funny, since of ALL the Caribbean islands, the prices in the Cayman Islands, even in the "Duty Free" shops, are the HIGHEST! I haven't been to one other island where the prices were lower.

Of course, those of us who are avid cruisers all know this, and avoid Cayman shopping like the Black Plague!!!!!

We occasionally hear of a crime against a cruise passenger, in a port, where that person is held up. Such incidents of robbery are rare, but do occur. After all, 'crime' is pretty universal and there are some islands where the average annual income is extremely low.

However, the Cayman Islands are unique! When it comes to shopping, there, the merchants all get away with robbery, and nobody seems to complain!!! Many cruise passengers return to the ship, happy that they saved so much in the duty-free shops. That is, until, they get to the next port and see the same item(s) for considerably less. it's only then that they yell, "Hey, I've been robbed!!!"

How about some of you savvy cruisers try to find a better deal on a Nikon D-10 with lens than the one I got at Cathy Church for less than $1,000.00. :rolleyes:

If you can only afford cheap junk then Mexico or Jamaica will offer you better deals on beads and wind chimes. For the more affluent crusiers wanting quality merchandise, you will be hard pressed to find better deals than in the Cayman Islands. They come with a full US warranty too, try and get that in Mexico. A friend of mine got a Citizen there real cheap. Turned out it had a cheap imitation inside. Really savvy of him, wasn't it?