• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Freedom of the Seas

Rate this topic

Patch64

Hi, Patch64!

alt textalt text

I'm a "traditionalist," and prefer 'smaller' ships...

When I speak of 'smaller' ships, I'm referring to those in the 50,000 grt, and under, category. I have sailed on a number of ships, from those in the 20,000 to 30,000 grt category up to the Triumph, Grand Princess, etc; in the 100,000 grt area. My favorite size is that of the Holiday, at 46,000 grt.

Admittedly, the mega-ships offer a lot more in the way of variety onboard activities, and such, but they tend to lose the personal touch.

On a smaller ship, you get to know most of your fellow passengers, if nothing else but by sight; a smile, a nod, a "hello,".... Likewise, you develop a relationship with many of the staff/crew. On the larger ships you tend to become a number.

I also find the service is better, and more personal, on the smaller ships.

Unfortunately, with the costs of fuel rising the way they have, it is not economically good business for the cruise lines to operate small ships, since the cost of operating a 100,000 grt vessel is not twic e that of a 50,000 grt ship. One of the major ways the lines have been able to keep the fares as low as they are is by building bigger ships!

Oh, well, I guess I'll just have to "suffer....." :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Hi, Patch64!

alt textalt text

I'm a "traditionalist," and prefer 'smaller' ships...

When I speak of 'smaller' ships, I'm referring to those in the 50,000 grt, and under, category. I have sailed on a number of ships, from those in the 20,000 to 30,000 grt category up to the Triumph, Grand Princess, etc; in the 100,000 grt area. My favorite size is that of the Holiday, at 46,000 grt.

Admittedly, the mega-ships offer a lot more in the way of variety onboard activities, and such, but they tend to lose the personal touch.

On a smaller ship, you get to know most of your fellow passengers, if nothing else but by sight; a smile, a nod, a "hello,".... Likewise, you develop a relationship with many of the staff/crew. On the larger ships you tend to become a number.

I also find the service is better, and more personal, on the smaller ships.

Unfortunately, with the costs of fuel rising the way they have, it is not economically good business for the cruise lines to operate small ships, since the cost of operating a 100,000 grt vessel is not twic e that of a 50,000 grt ship. One of the major ways the lines have been able to keep the fares as low as they are is by building bigger ships!

Oh, well, I guess I'll just have to "suffer....." :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Just got back from the Explorer of the Seas. That is quite a large ship. We found that even with all of those people aboard, the service was great. There were frequently lines to get to places, or check somethig out in the shops, but if you timed it right, there usually no problems. I think that I still prefer ships that are around 90,000 tons, but this was still a pretty good experience. :grin:

Howard

Just got back from the Explorer of the Seas. That is quite a large ship. We found that even with all of those people aboard, the service was great. There were frequently lines to get to places, or check somethig out in the shops, but if you timed it right, there usually no problems. I think that I still prefer ships that are around 90,000 tons, but this was still a pretty good experience. :grin:

Howard

Howard