• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Grandeur of Seas Crashes

Rate this topic

jtutak

Looks like all will be fine, and the next cruise will be delayed only a few days. That May 27th cruise above should be fine.

"Based on an evaluation of the damage to Grandeur of the Seas, by a team of technical experts and regulatory authorities, Royal Caribbean International currently expects the ship to be repaired and able to depart Costa Maya, Mexico, Saturday evening, April 23. The ship is currently expected to arrive in New Orleans at midday Monday, April 25. Repair work is already 25 percent completed and the ship will undergo a full safety inspection and approval prior to departing Costa Maya.

"Guests onboard the ship who need to return to New Orleans before Monday will be flown back on charter flights. Guests who have more vacation time are welcome to remain onboard and return to New Orleans with the ship. Current guests also will receive a $250 per-stateroom onboard credit.

"Grandeur of the Seas' seven-night sailing scheduled to depart New Orleans on Saturday, April 23, will delay its departure until 6 p.m. Monday, April 25. Guests should arrive for boarding after 3 p.m. that day. Guests booked on this sailing will be contacted regarding the change to their revised five-night itinerary, which will include port calls in Key West, Florida, and Cozumel, Mexico. Guests who sail on this cruise will receive a $300 per-stateroom onboard credit. Guests who choose to cancel their cruise will receive a full refund.

"Grandeur of the Seas struck the pier in Costa Maya, Mexico, at approximately 1 p.m. (E.S.T.) Wednesday, while the ship was docking in 15-knot winds and a 3-knot current, which contributed to the incident. All guests and crew members are completely safe, and none were injured in the incident. The ship has a football-shaped puncture in the bow, on its starboard side, that is approximately 42 feet long and five feet wide at its widest point. The puncture is in the first deck, approximately five feet above the waterline.

"The ship is safely docked and otherwise fully operational with all amenities. Royal Caribbean immediately notified the U.S. Coast Guard and other authorities regarding the incident and is fully assisting in their investigations.

wonder if the captain or the harbor pilot was in control at the time! I think it would be the captain at that time.

Thanks, Dan! I always wondered if the harbor pilot actually was at the controls when coming into port.

Well, when your Camry gets repaired, it will look (hopefully) like nothing happenned. I think there will still be very noticeable signs of the accident this ship had. I think they are doing a patch job, that is both serviceable and safe. I think the cosmetic repair will be done at a later maintenance period.