• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Diamond Princess review submitted

Rate this topic

Thanks for the review. I agree with you that the size of the Coral and Island Princess seems just about right. The last one I was on was the Explorer of the Seas, and that was a bit too large. Of course, the next one we're on is another mega ship, but we couldn't pass up the itinerary. :cool:

Howard

Hi Lisa,

I feel better now that I've read your review. We did not experience any of the crew type problems you had when we were on board in January.

We had good bar service in the Wheelhouse (with snacks), but really did not have that many drinks around the ship. Never knew there was such a thing as a foam overlay for the beds, so after all my cruises, I learned something! I think I'll request one on the Coral next year.

Did not hear about or witness any of the NO stuff and I think I would have heard about it since we put together a group of 38 folks on that cruise.

I do agree about the buffet area being a zoo. But, I think I'm getting used to it.

Glad you had a good trip overall.

Skipper - the more I think about it, I wonder if it wasn't crew burnout and new crew being trained. But it still was not up to what I have experienced on my previous cruises - and that did worry me a bit. I had never heard NO said so much on a cruise (even on Carnival!) I don't wany my Princess to change that much. I guess I will have to go on a couple more Princess cruises to compare! :grin: But, I do think I want to try Celebrity again (been about 3 years since I've been on one of their ships) and I really want to try a HAL cruise one day.

Do you remember who was the Captain when you were on the Diamond? I truly believe a crew takes it tone from the Captain and I was just curious if it was the same guy it was for my cruise.

sailinglisa,

Thanks for your review. I'm glad that you had a good experience with your waiters but sorry about the other service staff.

Does the Diamond Princess automatically charge tips to your charge account?

If I were told no too many times it would be reflected in a reduced tip. Of course, it would have to be justified for legitimate reasons.

What were and how were the ports of call?

Mebert - yes Princess does automatically add the tips to your account - but the $10 per day is of the room steward and the wait staff (who I felt deserved it). The bar staff get tipped automatically because of the 15% added to your drink bill - and I don't believe there is any way to get those tips removed (and I wish I could have done that).

I did the Mexican Riveria itinerary - which stopped in Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan and Cabo San Lucas - three very different cities with lots to offer visitors. Puerto Vallarta is very tropical, Mazatlan is an industrial city with a great hotel zone and shopping, plus you get the chance to go up to the Sierra Madre Mountains if you choose, Cabo is a resort city in what essentially is a desert like environment at the very southern tip of the Baja peninsula.

Thanks for the review, Lisa. It's a shame about the service -- or lack of. Even if it is crew burnout, it's not right to have it affect the passengers.

Did you get the chance to go up to the Sierra Madres this cruise?