• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Questions from a Newbie....

Rate this topic

Hey,

My name is Danielle and I am lucky enough to have a Dad who is taking all of his kids on a cruise for his 50th. I have never been on a cruise and I have a few questions. We are going on the Grandeur of the Seas departing out of Baltimore on 5/27. Our ports of call include: Grand Bahama Island, Cococay, Cozumel, Key West and Pt Canarveral.

I am leaving my infant son with my mother and was wondering what the best way to call back to the states was. Where will my cell phone work? What do most people do at ports where their cell doesnt work?

My other question is in regards to money, how much does an average person spend on a 10 day cruise? My husbund and I are not planning on doing any excursions and are not big drinkers but we do want to have a good time. Also, how much do the pictures run?

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this and reply. This website has already been so helpful with tips and such. I am so excited, I have never seen the ocean.

Thanks,

Danielle

Hey Danielle,

Congratulations on becoming our 2,000th member!!! I hope you stay here so we can get to know you, even after your cruise!

If your cell phone does work while the ship is docked in the islands, you may end up paying long-distance charges with your wireless carrier. You may want to call them and ask about each island you'll be stopping at, to see if there are any extra charges. You'll be paying dollars per minute if you use the ship-to-shore phones onboard, so buying the Phone Cards to use on the pay phones on the islands may be worth checking into as well.

In regards to souvenirs, be prepared to spend some money....the ship gift shops usually have nice things to buy, and you'll probably find some worthwhile souvenirs on the islands too. I know Cozumel has some pretty good (and cheap) shopping.

I'm sure many other members here will be able to answer your questions as well. If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Once again, welcome to CruiseCrazies!!

Welcome aboard, Danielle!

Does your mom have an email account? If so, one other option may be for you to email her from the ship from the Internet cafe. It can get pricey, and it's not the same as having a conversation, of course, but it's another way to stay in touch.

Hi RoseyFmly,

If you have unlimited long distance on your cell phone it should work in the U.S. Ports. However, in the foriegn ports you'll have to pay a premium toll.

My phone worked in Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands because they are related to the U.S. in some way. Your cell phone should work in Key West and Port Canaveral, depending on your carrier.

Welcome to CruiseCrazies Danielle!

Sounds like you have a terrific Dad! Ship photos cost from $10 to $25 each. They take a lot of them, so be prepared! We generally just buy one formal photo, unless there is a really good one. On our last cruise, which was a Holland America ship, they offered a photo package if you wanted to purchase them all. Can't remember how much is was, as we never considered it. Take a good film or digital camera and a video camera if you have one.

If you drink a lot of sodas you can purchase an unlimited soda card. On our last cruise it was $50 for 11 days, which was not a bargain for us, as we don't drink that many.

What ever you do just relax and enjoy the ride--you are in for a treat! :cool: :cool:

Welcome aboard Danielle. Congrats on your first cruise. How wonderful that you'll be able to celebrate with your family.

I'd call your cell phone carrier as suggested below. You can get a free internet e-mail address to keep in contact when at sea if you'd like. 50 cents per minute on RCI. Connections are slow but work alright.

Don't forget when planning money you have to think about tips and gambling. Also taxis, luggage handlers, etc. Its hard to tell you how much we average for spending as each person in different. We like to gamble so we spend more then others. However we don't do shore excursions or buy too many pictures anymore. There are lots of things to consider.

Hope you have a great time!

Danielle - congratulations on becoming a Crazy - and for many of us that's an apt description :o) You have a great Dad there. As far as spending money goes - make sure you add several $$$$ for all those great little baby outfits - some of them are so cute. Is this the first time you will be away from the little one? That can be traumatic - but I'm sure your Mom knows what she is doing - she raised you right? LOL. Also - check out the various remedies ahead of time if you think you might get a little sea-sick. It's best to try them out to see what effect they might have on you. I use the patch so I can't drink while I have it on - and that saves a bundle :o) Have a great time on the Grandeur and again, welcome. TTFN Jennifer

:wink: I just wanted to let you know we do not spend much money on our cruises. I do not buy drinks, maybe one picture. and I do not spend in town that much.

I bring some water bottles with me when I pack. I wash and refill them at night. I do enjoy water more than other drinks. room service will bring drinks to your room for free. I use my water bottle for orange juice too.I carry a camera and anyone will take a picture of you. Most digital cameras you can view the picture right away. I payed less than $100 for mine. I print them at home and the nice ones I enlarge at a photo shop. You can print all your pictures at most drug stores for less than one picture on the ship.

I use the email on the ship everyday. I do not remember a fee to email home. If there was it must of been small. If you do not have a computer a friend must have an extra one mom can use for a week. A lot of people have older computers around that you can set up for Mom to use. I only call if something bad has happened and we need to talk.

Shopping is something I can do on line or order when I get home if I really need what I saw in port. Write down the store name if there is something you think you must have. I have learned after many trips that I buy stuff that I do not want and spend way to much money. If you learn from others a place that you really must shop in then only shop at one store. I once wanted to buy silver in Mexico. Others told me of a great shop. I went there and spent my money. Got what I wanted and enjoyed the town after.

Remember a cruise does not have to cost a lot. There are ways to enjoy and not spend a lot of cash. We go to relax by the ocean and pool. That is my main point of cruising. To relax and enjoy my husband.

Enjoy your cruise.