• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Alaska 2006- Is Princess shooting itself in the fo

Rate this topic

Qcruiser

Well, after buying a "ghost booking" during our first Princess cruise 6 weeks ago, we thought we'd do an Alaska cruise in Sept. 2006... it looks like Princess is putting all of their ships with an inside pool on the "one way" itineraries , and only 2 ships doing the round trip out of Seattle ( Dawn & Sun )... but they don't have a covered or inside pool, which I would think might come in handy on a cruise to Alaska.... this makes it nessesary for me to look at other lines, and I think we may go with RCCL... their Serenade and Radiance ships have nice solariums.... my deposit with Princess is good for 4 years, and I was looking forward to the returning cruisers party, but we may have to go with Royal Caribbean. Am I off base in thinking that they should at least keep ONE of these ships on the inside passage run? :huh:

I'm guessing they have more demand for the one way trips, and less for the round trips, so they put the bigger ships on the one-ways.

WE cruised Alaska on the Island Princesslast year on a one-way cruise. The Island has an indoor solarium, but to be honest, whenever we were in there, there were hardly any people swimming. An Alaskan cruise doesn't really make you feel like you want to go to the pool (at least it didn't for us). There is just too much to see all the time outside. That cruise was our best yet, by far. Princess did a fantastic job.

Howard

That's interesting to know, Qcruiser, as we are thinking of a 2006 cruise to Alaska, round-trip from either Vancouver or Seattle. We have a son who loves to swim, so a covered pool would be an asset.

I think Dan hit it on the head, though -- the larger ships are likely needed to meet the high demand for the one-way routes.