• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Hurricane Season?

Rate this topic

nankiee

hi all, kinda new to this forum....just a quick question, i don't know much about the carribean or much about cruises. never been on one either.

but i do know that it tends to get rainy in the carribean at some point during the summer.

i'm planning a cruise for my mother and myself. for the end of june to the bahamas.

would it be wise to cruise in that area at that time?

does anyone have any suggestions as to what cruiseline we should choose?

any advice would help!

thanks!

-firsttimecruiser

June is very early in the hurricane season. We've never had a problem with our 3rd week of June cruises but after last season who knows??? I wouldn't stress too much about sailing that early in the season and the ships will do their best to give you a nice smooth sailing.

:smiley: :smiley: Nankiee, we went to carribean and bahamas last July 2nd and had perfect weather the whole time. We've only had 1 cruise and that was on Royal Carribean, But we thought they were great. The plan is to do extensive research on other cruise lines over the next few years :wink: :wink:

nankiee,

We've been on many cruises to the Bahamas over the years, during the summer months. There have been a couple of times that we experienced brief rain showers here and there but nothing that would linger enough to change any plans. Don't worry, you'll have a great time. :cool:

nankiee,

I have cruised 5 times. Two of those times have been during hurricane season, in August. There were no guarantees and I had to be prepared for a changed itinerary. However, I never experienced anything other than rough waters going back to Puerto Rico from Aruba. We just lost our balance a little while moving about the ship, nothing serious. Everyone seemed used to the motion of the ship by then. Fortunately we were able to complete the itinerary without a problem.

Sometimes the captain has to make decisions like missing or changing certain ports. Sometimes he may decide it's best to stay out at sea rather than attempt to challenge rough currents at certain ports.

You can rest assured that the captain is kept up to date about the weather and will put the the safety of the passengers and the crew first.

You may be inconvenienced, disappointed or you may miss out on something you really wanted to see, but the priority for the captain is safety.

As you can see by reading some of the postings on this board, storms occur outside of hurricane season too.

Having said all of that I hope you and your mom have a great cruise and calm waters whenever you decide to cruise.

Hi there! I'm new to cruising myself, but there is always travel insurance. That way if something does come up (for example a lot of hurricanes during that week) and you want to cancel, you can cancel and get all your money back. That is the wonderful thing about travel insurance! Always worth it in my eyes! Have a blast, I leave on Wednesday for my first cruise through Western Europe and am so excited! WOOHOO!

~Keri~

1st cruise~Golden Princess~06/01/05~W. European Capitals

2 days until London!! Bye everyone!!! :cheesy: