• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

How do you like movies that include cruises?

Rate this topic

I am so hooked on cruiseing that over the past few weeks I have been watching movies that include cruises or ocean liner voyages. I have watched the Poseidon Adventure, Titanic and Speed 2.

The Poseidon Adventure is an adventure movie and has several unexpected heroes but still ends up being very disasterous and very sad.

I was really upset with the elderly woman in Titanic who discarded something into the ocean. I won't say what just in case there are still those who haven't seen the movie.

In Speed 2, the Seabourn Legend looded really small on the outside, but huge on the inside. I guess that's typical of the smaller ships.

I'm looking forward to re-viewing "Now, Voyager" with Bette Davis and "Ship of Fools.

Have you seen any cruise ship movies recently or in the not too distant past?

I love movies about ships and/or cruising.

My favorite is An Affair to Remember, starring Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr. It is a love story (one of the best, IMO), and much of it was shot onboard SS Constitution.

There is another older movie I enjoyed -- Romance on the High Seas is what I believe it is called. It was Doris Day's first movie. She plays a singer who is hired to impersonate the woman who hired her in order to catch a suspected cheating spouse. I won't get into it, as it would spoil the surprises. It was set on a ship, but I don't know if it was actually filmed on one.

I recently saw The Last Voyage, which was about the evacuation of passengers from an aging ocean liner. The liner in this case was SS Ile de France, and the actual ship was used in many scenes. Caution -- these scenes include ones in which the ship, or parts of it, are destroyed. Best to catch the first 20 minutes and then turn it off.

I love to watch movies about cruising or that are based on a cruise ship! I haven't seen any recently, but the last one I saw was, "The Legend of 1900," about a man who spent his whole life on an ocean liner.

If I see that a movie has a cruise ship in it, I'll watch it. I think that my favorite is the Marx Brothers movie, A Night At The Opera. The stateroom scene is one of the funniest scenes in any movie that I have ever seen. :grin:

Howard

After the Sunset....with Pierce Brosnan and Salma Hayek.

I think the ship is Seven Seas Navigator.

But one of my favouritemovies is the remake of an Affair to Remember....called Love Affair with Warren Beatty and Annette Bening.

I have yet to see Titanic in its entirety.

Excellent.

It never fails. I post something as casual conversation and then you all teach me so much. I think someone else posted a similar message quite a while ago, but I think I see some additional movies that were not listed in the last post.

So far I've you all have turned me on to the following:

An Affair to Remember (Same story as Love Affair)(I've never seen this one in its entirety)

Romance on the High Seas (this movie is really expensive to purchase)

The Last Voyage

Speed 2 (I saw this one)

The Legend of 1900 (One of my favorite)

A Night at the Opera

After the Sunset

Love Affair with Charles Boyer and Irene Dunne(I saw parts of this one and I thought the story was familiar)

Love Affair with Warren Beatty and Annette Bening

Please keep suggesting other movies about cruises. Keep 'em comin'.

Not exactly a movie, but we were aboard Celebrity's Century when they filmed an episode of "The Nanny". Really enjoyed watching it when it aired after watching them shoot the scenes aboard ship and on the beach in St. Thomas. :smiley:

Skipper, what was it like when they were filming? Were there certain areas off-limits?

So that I'm not hijacking the thread, I'll add another movie -- Out to Sea , filmed on HAL's Westerdam (I think), and Queen Mary was used as well.