• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

S/S Norway Farewell Photos

Rate this topic

Mebert

From a distance the SS Norway looks like a very beautiful ship. I's sail her anytime.

There must be some major flaws within her for her to be sent off like that. Repairs must be really expensive.

I hope she can find a new home and remain in use.

Mebert - the steam boilers that powered the ship (and caused the explosion that killed and injured a number of crew members) were outdated. The cost to replace the boilers was exorbitant and to repair them would have required parts to be specifically made.....and there is no apparent reason why the parts that failed in the explosion did and why they did. Steam is just not practical and to outfit the Norway with diesel or other type of engines was just not cost effective (according to NCL......personally I think if they would invest the money, cruisers would flock to the Norway to experience cruising the way it USED to be!) I hope the Norway does what the Britannis decided to do....sink itself on the way to Asia.