• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Holland American

Rate this topic

TheSkipper

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the thread. We are considering a 14 day cruise on the Ryndam next December 2006. We have not sailed HAL in the past but my husband is Dutch and the crew to my understanding are Dutch so he wanted to talk with some of them. I have read that a few of you liked the Ryndam so I am going to give it serious consideration. I did notice that the price is a bit more than another cruise in Nov with Celebrity. We loved the service on Celebrity.

Mary

Hi Mary,

Our First cruise on HAL was pre suggestive tip era, and it was on the Ryndam,!

It is a beautiful, smaller vessel, we enjoyed very much, one thing I would mention.

Being a smaller ship, the stabilizers aren’t always adequate, so I would recommend getting a cabin as close to mid ship as possible.

The wait staff can be wonderful, and although it has been a few years since we sailed her, I am sure you will enjoy your experience.

Always <]

Thanks for all of the input. I think we will have to try HAL very soon!

For the person who asked about the Coral Princess, we have not been aboard her yet. She is scheduled for next May when we sail through the Panama Canal on her.

If she is anything like our favorite ship -- The Diamond Princess, I'm sure we will love her.

:grin:

Last year we took our first cruise on HAL on the Maasdam. It will not be our last. WE loved the old world character of the ship. The fresh flowers all around. The crowd was a little older but we felt we fit in very well. We are middle aged ourselves. The food was great the crew were couteous and helpful.

we have sailed with Cunard, Nowegian, RCCL, Carnival.

We will sail again with HAL.

WE are presently booked on Norwegain Jewel in Sept. It is a brand new ship and we don;t know what to expect as we really like the old world charm. I don not believe we will find it on the Jewel but it will be an experience.

• 2 weeks later...

We were on Princess this past winter. It was our first time with added tips. We felt the service, particularly in the dining room was lacking, although our cabin steward was excellent.

We have always come back to HAL as our cruise line of choice, and have booked for next winter on the Volendam. I certainly hope that the new tipping policy has not affected them as well.

We were happy with our cruise on Celebrity and I would choose Celebrity after HAL.

Bodger

We were on Princess this past winter. It was our first time with added tips. We felt the service, particularly in the dining room was lacking, although our cabin steward was excellent.

We have always come back to HAL as our cruise line of choice, and have booked for next winter on the Volendam. I certainly hope that the new tipping policy has not affected them as well.

We were happy with our cruise on Celebrity and I would choose Celebrity after HAL.

Bodger