• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Semi-new cruiser needs advice

Rate this topic

terri1020

Hi all,

New to these boards. My family and I have cruised (JUST) twice and are hooked. We are looking for a cruise for the last week of June/first in July 2006. We will need about 8 cabins (maybe 10). We would like to leave out of NYC, Bayonne, NJ, or Phily. (No Canada) We were hoping to stay at or under $100 per day per person. Are we looking for something which doesn't exist? I'm depending on all of the experienced "CruiseCrazies" for some guidence!

Thanks!

Terri

There are a number of really good TA's here that will be glad to advise...... I really dont think you gonna find fare for the range you mentioned, I may be wrong! But either way glad your here and I hope you find the cruise your after!

as Always

PS

alt text

I think that you will have a real tough time trying to find a cruise for thbose weeks from either New York or Philly for under a hundred dollars/day. The cruises from the Northeast usually sell out pretty quickly, and the prices stay pretty high. The cheapest cabins usually seem to go for between $150-200/day.

That said, it doesn't hurt to call a travel agent to see what they can actually do for you. I'm not a TA, and I'm just going by what I see in the adds and from some previous wxperience. We live in Philly, and my wife doesn't really like to fly, so we have sailed from NY several times. The one good thing is that you can save the air fare. Good luck.

Howard

Hi terri1020

I'm not a TA but I do extensive research on cruises. Could you give us alittle more information. Where do you want to go? Are you interested in going to different ports or do you like to hang out on the ship? Do you have any favorite destinations you would like to go too?

We have done most of our cruising in the Caribbean so I am more familiar with these islands. I would be happy to look up some information for you and post it here or send it directly to your email. I just need to know what you are looking for first.

Mary

Joey (&David), Howard and Mary,

Thanks for your replies! Mary, we are interested in the Caribbean! This will be a big family trip with some of our group being young college aged kids who are interested in excursions, so I guess different ports would be great. Any info you can share would be greatly appreciated. We're not sticking to the $100 pp, but we thought it might be something to start with. We looked at the Crown Princess and fell in love! Not opposed to other lines as long as they are clean and good to their clients.

My email address is tdilalo@aesop.rutgers.edu

Thanks!

Terri

Hi Terri,

As you estimate you will need 8-10 cabins, you might qualify as a group, which often (but not always) means better pricing. I highly suggest working with a TA who has experience booking groups on cruises.

As the others have said, this is prime cruising season out of the Northeast. So, book as early as you can.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

(BTW, I am not a travel agent, either. :smiley: )

Hi Terri,

Having put together a group just recently, by myself w/o a TA, I can tell you that yes it takes a minimum of eight cabins to be considered a group with most of the lines. Once you have booked the eight cabins you will be eligable for extras, it depends on the line, of ship board credit or free wine or something of that nature. Our group recieved a $75 per cabin ship board credit(in other words the first 15 drinks are on them). For every eight cabins that you book (this is with Carnival) they give back the cost of one fare, with out port charges or taxes. This is paid back to the group coordinator who would in turn split it with the rest of the group, but not until everything is completely paid. Again in our case the the amount being given back is $430 split up between eight cabins or about $53 per cabin.

Hope I haven't confused you.