• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Renting a car in Skagway

Rate this topic

riteonglor

Can anyone help me on this one? We will be on the Sapphire princess in August. There will be 4 of us and we want to see the Scenic White Pass. We have been told it might be more fun to rent a car and go it alone. Are there car rentals there and if so how much is the going rent? Have any of you done this and is it better then taking the railway tour? Any info on this will be very much appreciated.

I really can't help you with the car rental, but I can tell you about the railroad. The rail ride is spectacular. The sights that you see along the ride are wonderful. The train is frequently riding above sttep high cliffs, raging rivers, beautiful valleys, etc. We took a bus up into the Yukon and took the train back. The bus ride up was nice, but I can't really say that it was spectacular. Lots of lakes and small towns. I can't imagine that renting a car would be much different. There aren't many roads around there. So, as I said, IMHO the train ride is the way to go. Enjoy the trip to Alaska. There is nowhere like it in the world. :wink:

alt text

Howard