• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

New passport requirements

Rate this topic

terinzak

Yesterday I spoke with a woman at Carnival cruises. She actually called me to see if I ahd any questions on the cruise that we had just booked. So, of course, I made the mistake of asking a question. I asked her if we "HAD" to have passports to sail to mexico and back on April 16th, 2006. SHe said "Absolutely..Unless you are only sailing between US ports everyone is required to have a passport". I pointed out to her that Carnival's website specifically states travel to MExico occuring prior to December 2006 does not need a passport. Just an FYI, it's not a problem to get passports just something I really didn't want to have to do..it's a long story involving my son and his "long-lost" dad and the requirements to get my son a passport w/out his dad signing for it.

So after arguing with her for 30 minutes about what their website states, she put me on hold and asked a supervisor. Or at least thats what she said she did. She came back with the same answer. I was so frustrated that I hung up with her and called Carnival back. The next woman states no passport needed until December '06 for travel to Mexico.

So...can anyone give me the correct answer??? At this point I have no idea whom to believe!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi terinzak

IMHO the only one to answer your question is the people who are making you get a passport. I found this on the web for you

http://travel.state.gov

FOR MORE INFORMATION

National Passport Information Center (877) 487-2778

Also be aware that just because the GOV doesnt require something at a perticular moment doesnt mean the cruise line might.

Good luck!

Most of us that are planning travel after Dec 2005 are running into the same problem, not only that some of us live very close to the Canadian border and this has become a big issue as they want everyone to have one just to cross over for a visit.

My suggestion and I've seen it posted on this board elsewhere is to go to the source. http://travel.state.gov/passport if nothing else it will give you a place to go for updates on the changes that haven't gone into effect and aren't even law as of yet!!

Hope this helps.

:huh: NEW PASSPORT REQUIREMENTS

I am astounded that some individuals are still living in the past. Get with reality people, if you plan to travel outside your country...

GET A PASSPORT

This thread is evidence that some people have not clued into the new world reality.

If you can afford to cruise, you can afford to purchase and renew a passport.

Is there something truly wrong with some of the posters here? Why would you spend 30 minutes arguing with a cruise representative about whether or not one should have a passport.

It is 2005 and the answer is obvious

With the disgusting bombings in London yesterday, a passport is a greater requirement than ever.

Quit wasting people's time with stupid issues and equip yourself to travel internationally. If you are fussing about a passport, why don't you stay at home.

ABoatNerd

Aboatnerd,

Thank you for your insights to the need of a passport. It possibly could be that some are just reluctant into giving into the notion that they have been reduced to a number.

Change takes time.

And about your statement â€ÂQuit wasting people's time with stupid issues and equip yourself to travel internationally. If you are fussing about a passport, why don't you stay at home. <]

The one thing about Cruise Crazies that’s special, unlike other cruise forums we tend to shy away from calling names here and try more to be a bit more understanding, and helpful. I for one didn’t appreciate that remark, after all one “one stupid question to you is an uninformed person here, please respect their rights to inquire.†Bottom line WE DONT BASH here!<]

On another subject. Welcome to Cruise Crazies I truly look forward to your posts.

alt text

:tongue: PASSPORT REQUIREMENTS

Good post JoeyandDavid. I presume from your post that you take issue with the trend towards more personal identification.

My posts as ABoatNerd will always be provocative as I do not take the wishy washy, inside the bell curve, politically correct approach to analyzing any situation. There is a huge amount of "lemming like/group think/in denial" behavior amongst consumers today and I am not one of them.

On the subject of "change takes time", then in some matters like international travel, people had better wake up fast. A passport is a necessity and a safe guard for travelling in corrupt countries (which are the vast majority on the planet today).

Being "reduced to a number" is quite acceptable to me. Why would it not? Question for you - Do you let strangers into your home without identification, do they get to stay for unlimited periods of time? The past free flow of people into/out of the G8 countries is exactly why our enemy is within our borders today.

My travel agent refuses to service clients who "don't get it" ie they fuss over passports etc. The amount of wasteful queries from travellers today simply takes time away from servicing other more informed and prepared clients (me). Our cruise only travel agent is blunt, when you desire to make a booking, the rules of the road are clear - have a passport by the time or booking or you are on your own.

Travel agents have liability and they need to defend against ill informed or frankly stupid travellers. If a cruise client does not have acceptable identification, and is refused entry to a site, it follows that many of them go back to "blame" (since blaming others is a big trend these days) the travel agent for not "having told them". JoeyandDavid, if you were a travel agent, would you not have all clients sign a form indicating they are accountable to have the appropriate identification for all countries visited on a cruise?

Since cruising can take individuals to many countries (most of which tend to be rife with corruption I may add), it makes total sense to maximize one's protection and identification.

Oh, by the way, I work in counterterrorism, therefore I am not naive about international travel risks and requirements and I am agast at the continued ignorance of the American public regarding what it takes to travel internationally.

ABoatNerd

Let me clarify why I raised the question of a passport. It wasn't that I didn't want to pay for one it was the problem involving my son. As you may not be aware, the requirements for issuing a child a passport have changed. Both parents must sign off on the application. In my case, I have no idea where my son's dad is so how can I get him to sign the application? The state department will waive that requirement if my son's dad's name isnt on his birth certificate..which it is obviously. As most people's are. So now I would have to try and track him down and or attempt to get the state deartment to believe that I have no contact with his dad to avoid having his dad sign.

As for me..I have always had a passport. My main complaint with Carnival was that the girl I spoke with had no idea what she was talking about. Or what her website showed. This was obvious after I hung up on her and called Carnival back. All I was doing was trying to get the correct information. I don't need someone harrassing me about trying to get that information.

Of course I take issue whenever my individuality is taken away, my parents gave me a name not a number.

With that being said I do understand, the need to the new regulations, and have complied, but does that mean I agree? That’s another topic.

I am one that tends to think outside the box, I tend to being favor of fair and equal treatment all around.

I live in the LA area and we recently had some remodeling work done. you asked me

Question for you - Do you let strangers into your home without identification, do they get to stay for unlimited periods of time? The past free flow of people into/out of the G8 countries is exactly why our enemy is within our borders today.<]

And the answer was yes they were here with all their helpers and no I didn’t ID them all. and they were here 4 months :grin:

Now as to the point you raised as far as people saying they were never told, well that’s just bad consumers not asking the correct questions and has nothing to do with the topic IMHO. (I’m sure its in writing in their paper work in small print on at least 4 pages. No legal department anywhere would allow it not to be there)

ABoatNerd, you say you work in counter terrorism, I thought after 9/11 all good Americans worked in "counter terrorism"

I look forward once again to your provocative, non wishy washy posts. Discussion is terrific, Discussion leads to teaching and learning. All I was saying ABoatNerd just try and do it with out the insults.

post on !!