• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Tell the truth about you and travel insurance

Rate this topic

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Chris...

I started cruising in 1979. I didn't get the insurance back then, but I wouldn't think of going without it today. DH and I are both getting older, and some of our cruises are longer ones. If anyone had to be airlifted off a ship and had hospital bills out of the US, the expenses could be astronomical, or if you had to cancel because of illness, or if something happened to our parents, etc., it would be well worth it to have insurance.

Hi Chris, welcome back. I hope you hang around. Missed you.

We never bought travel insurance until 9/11.

We were sitting at my daughters house, waiting to go to the airport the following day for a Med cruise, when 9/11 happened. We had around $17,000 tied up in that cruise and no insurance.

RCI were absolutely fantastic, they gave us a raincheck for every penny. However, the wait until we found out about the refund was painful.

Since then, we always take out travel insurance to cover air, hotels and cruise. We use CSA and it also includes medical, delays, car rental etc and it costs a minimal amount. We wouldn't leave home without it.

Yes we get the insurance now for sure as our parents are getting older. Only twice did I skip it and they were both 3 dayers. Didn't stand to lose too much so we let it go. It worked out but realize now of course that anything can happen so we'll always buy from now on.

Nope, I don't purchase it.

But, I don't sail during hurrican season and only book when I know I can go and have my ducks in a row so to speak, I don't have any medical conditions and no one I sail with does or I would consider getting it, and I don't fly (I am lucky enough to live in Florida and can drive to the ports I go to). So, I feel I am pretty safe. Now, I know things can happen once on a cruise trip, but I'll take my chances. :)

Mmketeer......next cruise's: RCCL/SOS 12/05 & DCL/Wonder 2/06

RCCL: Mariner & Enchantment

DCL: Magic & Wonder

CCL: Miracle & Fanatsy

I've never purchased travel insurance, and doubt that I ever will. I've been on 59 cruises, and, thankfully, naever needed it.

I figure that if I had purchased the insurance for all 59 cruises, it would've cost more than what I might lose if something happened. Also, my credit card offers some protection, although not too much.

Hey DaCruzNut/ Jeff

How many of those 59 cruises were transatlantic?

Insurance for us is more like a monetary safety net of the Investment,

As you know some cruises can be pricey especially if you plan to do a lot of excursions.

And a Mediterranean Cruise you can almost double the cost,

So anytime we plan to spend that kind of money, I want to make sure its not wasted.

With the fact that we leave not only the United States but the Continent I figured that just incase "something happened", health concerns, evilness in the world, some emergancy situation could be a second mortgage. it would be better to be safer then half hearted , when you are not local. This way (Heaven protect us) I could get us back home, no matter what.

The cost to protect the investment was at a cost that is less then 1/2 of 1%.

I agree I hadn’t and probably wouldn’t buy insurance as long as I stay local and local for us is North America, if we get to much further than the Panama Canal then I start thinking insurance.

:grin: :cool:

We have always bought insurance for our trips. For the price we pay for the trip, the insurance is practically nothing. We're both getting to an age where things can litterally happen overnight. I don't have a great family history, also.

Howard