• We'd love for you to participate.

Create an account

Ask questions, share experiences and connect.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Puerto Limon, Costa Rica

Rate this topic

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Joey and David...

We were there on a Panama Canal trip 2 1/2 years ago. We had no problems. People are very friendly there. I would tell you to take a tour of the rainforest if you can do a bit of walking. My DH and brother-in-law did that one, and it's really beautiful. My sister-in-law and I just took a shopping tour, but, we really didn't take it to shop, but to see the island by air-conditioned bus.

Our bus driver was a great tour guide. They all go to school for that in Costa Rica. We had a great tour through the country side and stopped in a small town(I think it was Sarchi) to shop at a place with local crafts and souvineers and then we headed back to the ship. I think this tour was around three hours. Costa Rica is really beautiful in some areas...I would be sure to see as much as I could.

I didn't think too much of the place, but we took a private tour. I don't suggest that, since we thought we were done when the guy pulled over to talk to a bunch of rough looking guys on the side of the road. I would suggest taking a ship's tour. There isn't really much to see in the immediate area around the ship. There was a small market at the pier, and a nice park area on the waterfront to the right of the pier. Other than that, it's a very blue collar harbour town, with little touristy stuff.

We were on the Pacific coast side in 2001, and went to the mid-level (higher than coastal, lower than mountain) rainforest. We saw giant Macaws and monkees amongst other things. Had a great time, but it was hot and the A/C on the bus was broken.

In 2004 we went to Puerto Limon. This time we took the "Green Train" tour. We went by bus inland, and had a shopping stop at a hotel compound for half an hour. Oh great, I thought, five minutes to see all the crap and then cool your heels. Boy was I wrong, there was wonderful stuff. I bought a couple of boxes made from Cocobolo, for less than I would have paid for the wood at home. Golf shirts for $10.00 with Costa Rica and parrots or those funky frogs embroidered on the chest. Lots of neat stuff and the prices were a steal.

We had to rush back to the bus, then on to the train station where we traded transportation with the group that came out on the train.

The train reminded me of the old coach when Butch and Sundance went to Bolivia. The windows opened and my left arm was wet from getting rained on. (I suppose I could have closed the window, but it was a warm rain, and not an issue.) The train trip was great and would recommend it to anyone who is interested in the ecology of the rain forest. We also saw how the locals live. Remember it is not better or worse than what we have, just different.

I would go back to Costa Rica anytime. The country is likely the best, safest and most stable in Central America. The vendors at the port have good prices on things. I had a leather belt made to order for $8.00.

Two things: first you will never guess what the most significant export from Costa Rica is, and secondly the 'Green Train' is blue.

Go and have a great time.

Bodger

No, it was Limon. To be fair, it was 4 years ago, but I have heard others who have been there more recently say basically the same. That it's a blue collar working town, not a touristy place at all and not a place you want to wander to far in the wrong direction. I know you can say this about any town, but 5 blocks straight up the road from the pier, we walked past a bar that had a roll-up garage door instead of a wall, and most conversation went quiet as we walked by. As if they were surprised to see people from the ship in that area. Not sure if it was the same surprise as I had that this bar was packed at 1030am LOL.

I know plenty of people that have vacationed in Costa Rica, and loved it. From my understanding, most of the resorts people go to are on the Pacific, not Caribbean side of the country, and I think that's where Puntarenas is too. Our so-called "tour guide" made a point of saying how the government had totally turned it's back on the east coast of the country, and focused totally on the west. I was like "I can hear this at home LOL"